NNN-BC versus Pins: Just the facts

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: NNN-BC versus Pins: Just the facts

Post by lowangle al » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:49 am

I assumed there are so many nnn models because the manufacturers are still trying to find one that works. :lol:

On a more serious note I see a couple major differences. NNN seems to be a tighter system with less slop. They also have bumpers and springs? which to me looks like it will give more tip pressure like a cable would on three pin. The advantage of the three pin is that it is wider giving more leverage to get a ski on edge. I've never skied nnn so please correct me if I'm wrong.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:00 am

Whatever floats your boat is good.....All of the Kingdom Tele Boys have skied the nnn system at one time or another...All of us eventually went with pins and a welted leather boot...Comparable on the flats but pins better on the down and we are ALWAYS looking for more down even on the up....Cruising if there is a Hardwood Ridge that looks good...we are there!....hell if a small mountain has good looks we ski it....Pins work for us but those plastic nnn bindings could work also...Would worry some in the Gonz that the nnn would not hold up as well as metal pins....And at 11 oz. what's not to like?...TM

Coolwhip

Post by Coolwhip » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:19 am

greatgt wrote:Would worry some in the Gonz that the nnn would not hold up as well as metal pins.
Some people have strong opinions on this, depending on the conditions and how much you have to rely on your equipment to get you back to civilization. For instance, this guide isn't even considering downhill use, but still recommends pins for long wilderness tours because of reliability: https://thingstolucat.com/ski-touring-equipment-guide/

Mountain Mitch

Post by Mountain Mitch » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:38 am

Kinda depends on whether you want control or ease of use. For casual use and maybe even the odd turn NNNBC probably works ok. But if you are in the mountains daily, with occasional steep runs, you will opt for duckbills every time. I had an NNNBC setup - maybe 20 years ago - tried doing some teles and ripped the bar right out of the boot! Never again.

Problem for us diehards is that most people want ease of use. That means way more NNNBC boots out there. And a lot of the duckbills are really just downhill boots for resort users.

So, you’re right. In any popularity contest NNNBC boots would end up wearing the sash!

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:35 pm

>>>Apart from the XCD/light telemark market, I suspect there's a bigger NNN-BC market for people who want maximum stability on more gentle cross-country tours.

yes, you're describing my experience. I was psyched when NNNBC first came out. It blew away what I was using before in terms of stability and also the ease of getting in & out was wonderful (and still is). And now the boots that are available today are vastly improved too.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Yep, it's a matter of choice. But I can't believe people are still buying heavy and bulky 7lbs boots while they can buy 725g NNN-BC boots that offers A HELL OF A LOT more control than pins for downhill skiing on steep terrain and a much smoother XC experience at the same time. And for half the weight...

:roll: Sigh... It seems like there is still a lot of education to do about system bindings... Why do you think the SNS X-ADV disappeared... Maybe there is just something terribly wrong with me and TeleHiro...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:55 pm

/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:08 pm

Johnny wrote:Yep, it's a matter of choice. But I can't believe people are still buying heavy and bulky 7lbs boots while they can buy 725g NNN-BC boots that offers A HELL OF A LOT more control than pins for downhill skiing on steep terrain and a much smoother XC experience at the same time. And for half the weight...

:roll: Sigh... It seems like there is still a lot of education to do about system bindings... Why do you think the SNS X-ADV disappeared... Maybe there is just something terribly wrong with me and TeleHiro...
I know at this point I need to mount an 86 mm waisted ski NN. You have some new Rabb 68 and Tindan 86 skis, are you mounting either NNN. Just asking for the sake of conversation. I remember seeing you on Objective skis mounted NNN. It opened my eyes to the possibilities of NNN, I mounted Gamme NNN.

Mountain Mitch

Post by Mountain Mitch » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Johnny wrote:Yep, it's a matter of choice. But I can't believe people are still buying heavy and bulky 7lbs boots while they can buy 725g NNN-BC boots that offers A HELL OF A LOT more control than pins for downhill skiing on steep terrain and a much smoother XC experience at the same time. And for half the weight...

I don’t understand your comment about control. There’s a reason all the big mountain tele boots are duckbills. That is because they offer better control. NNNBC boots have their advantages (weight, step-in, hiking) but you can’t further their cause by pretending they are something they are not.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Wow Johnny, quite a collection! So many skis, but you are in a land of much snow. I will soon have 6 pair of skis mounted, but their uses don't overlap too much. I don't think I will strain my brain too much deciding which ski to pick. I am also curious as to the differences between the Mountain Race/Tour, and Gamme/Amundsen. However, I am very happy with my ski collection. Those comparisons are what I wonder about when I am not skiing.