Racing Skimo on a Tele setup?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
intramural

Racing Skimo on a Tele setup?

Post by intramural » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Friends.

I just did a day of skiing on a dynafit Skimo race setup. Pdg the whole nine yards. It left me uninspired. Alpine turning had me just going through the motions.

Normally I ski and tour on 4 buckle t1's with 22 AXL's. I love the challenge and dynamic style required for a Tele turn.

Is it possible to be comparably as fast and efficient as a dynafit race setup on 3 pin Telemark stuff?

I was thinking alpina Alaska with voile 3pin cable bindings mounted on my pdg skis.

Also, has to be powerful enough to handle skiing highlands bowl...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Racing Skimo on a Tele setup?

Post by Johnny » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:39 pm

That is what I used to do with skimo gear, pins and cables... And I had a lot of fun doing so... But speed was never my intention...

There are several nice discussions about this topic elsewhere on the forum... Check out this thread by iBjorn:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1097

System Heads are always faster... They have more fun too... 8-)

/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

intramural

Post by intramural » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Thanks man! Okay good to know... Right now I'm just looking to have fun too. I want to be fast enough, not maniac.

I just don't know if a boot like the Fischer bc675 could handle highlands bowl.

Either way I'm at work right now. Thanks for the heads up on the other thread dude. I'll check it out tonight.

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:51 pm

I know what you mean about feeling like you're going thru the motions making turns on skimo gear!

I train with some pretty top level skimo racers, and I'm absolutely able to hang with them when I'm on my Atomic UL65's, TTS bindings, and old yellow Scarpa F1 boots. The whole setup only weighs 200-300 grams more than a BCX 675 + Voile Mountaineer combo, but offers a free pivot for the uphill and a whole other world of performance on the downhill -- there's nothing I'd normally ski that I'd be afraid to take these skis down. Get (or make) a TTS setup that lets you remove the heel cable for the uphill, and the weight would be a wash.

intramural

Post by intramural » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:55 pm

bobbytooslow wrote:I know what you mean about feeling like you're going thru the motions making turns on skimo gear!

I train with some pretty top level skimo racers, and I'm absolutely able to hang with them when I'm on my Atomic UL65's, TTS bindings, and old yellow Scarpa F1 boots. The whole setup only weighs 200-300 grams more than a BCX 675 + Voile Mountaineer combo, but offers a free pivot for the uphill and a whole other world of performance on the downhill -- there's nothing I'd normally ski that I'd be afraid to take these skis down. Get (or make) a TTS setup that lets you remove the heel cable for the uphill, and the weight would be a wash.
Dude that sounds sweet. Are you talking about the scarpa t1?

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:26 pm

intramural wrote:Are you talking about the scarpa t1?
The old Scarpa F1 alpine touring boot had bellows, and came in several lightweight variations. Lots of folks over at the Earn Your Turns forum (too many threads to link) use them with TTS setups, even to drive big skis.
scarpa-f1-race.jpg

intramural

Post by intramural » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:28 pm

bobbytooslow wrote:
intramural wrote:Are you talking about the scarpa t1?
The old Scarpa F1 alpine touring boot had bellows, and came in several lightweight variations. Lots of folks over at the Earn Your Turns forum (too many threads to link) use them with TTS setups, even to drive big skis.
scarpa-f1-race.jpg
Oh man!!!! That thing is sick dude! I need that boot. NTN stuff is just so damn heavy.

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:39 pm

intramural wrote:NTN stuff is just so damn heavy.
Indeed.

The bellow'd F1's went out of production about 7 years ago, but you can find some on eBay and/or Craigslist.

I made some old F1's into NTN boots just for the fun of it:
http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourturn ... -Duckbutts
IMG_20181119_070719.jpg

intramural

Post by intramural » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:46 pm

bobbytooslow wrote:
intramural wrote:NTN stuff is just so damn heavy.
Indeed.

The bellow'd F1's went out of production about 7 years ago, but you can find some on eBay and/or Craigslist.

I made some old F1's into NTN boots just for the fun of it:
http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourturn ... -Duckbutts
IMG_20181119_070719.jpg
Dang, man... That's so sick. I'm pretty jealous. That's the solution. To my problem. I'll check out eBay and CL. I doubt I'll have any luck though.

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:01 pm

I've bought some from this guy before. Certainly costs less than a new pair of NTN boots.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarpa-F1-Race ... ctupt=true