The Norpine Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: The Norpine Thread

Post by bgregoire » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:06 pm

Johnny wrote:
Cannatonic wrote:Until now I wasn't even sure what "norpine" was....so it's the old-school tele skis - skinny and flat camber.
You can norpine on whatever you like with leathers... But hey, double camber XC skis are not fun at all on hard pack. And modern alpine skis are way too heavy for this graceful sport...!
Hey, any Norpine Knights outta there? Are my Rossignol Nepals w/ Riva IIs norpine? I wanna Norpin'it like it should be done! Seez'yall!

Happy new one!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:19 pm

Seth Masia sharing his view of the advent of Norpine as nordic-style downhill skis first became available in north america in the early 80s:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=5uusVW ... ST&f=false

I'm getting the impression here that the real Norpine troopers were at least initially on nice double cambered skis!

Johnny, ever hear of the Fisher America 99? It has a nice alpine flex and no wax pocket. Sounds like your style!

Happy New Year!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:02 am

A99s!!! Woah, I definitely need a pair... In a Europa world, it's exactly my kind of ski..!
It's probably harder to find than Storetind Natos though... I can't even find a picture of these gems...

There is no doubt that Norpine started on double camber XC skis, that was the idea. And that was the only choice. Remember, that was the era of 20lbs alpine skis and cableless rat traps. So it had to be skinnies. Then all of a sudden, God sent Trucker and Phoenix skis on earth in the 70's. It was the beginning of the Norpine craze, and the beginning of dedicated "Telemark" skis. Of course people in Colorado will always claim it all started there, but who knows what was going on elsewhere in the world back then. And yep, Kazama would take over the world a few years later...

A nice article about the beginning of Norpine here in the East in Wildcat... And one from Dickie in Vermont...

Your Nepals are great Norpine skis..! (As long as you use leather shoes...) Protecting the sanctity of XC in XCD, the XCD Knights are still taking Norpine very seriously. There was an important discussion about the current state of Norpine at last year's meeting...

Speaking of Knights, congratulations to Woodserson for his new XCD Knight rank!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

spwath

Post by spwath » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:19 pm

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and backcountry skiing in general. I am in college now, and was on the Nordic ski team in high school, so I have plenty of classic and skate experience. I just picked up some backcountry skis and boots (Fischer excursion 88 skis and Madshus Glittertind boots).

I am wondering about Norpine skiing, as it seems interesting. So its basically just slapping on a pair of Nordic skis, and going down slopes? I assume you would use beefier backcountry skis, and not classic/skate skis.
I know I once for fun when down a downhill slope on my racing skate skis (there was a Nordic trail on the top of the mountain) and it was pretty uncontrollable, with no metal edges.

Would my Fischer Excursion 88 and Madshus Glittertind boots be suited to Norpine?