Meidjo with Alpine boots?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
cdn-dave

Meidjo with Alpine boots?

Post by cdn-dave » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:03 pm

With the Meidjo binding and Rando heel, is it also possible to use „regular“ touring boots? ie as long as the sole length matches?

How much fore-aft adjustability is in the Rando heel?

Thanks!

EvanTrem
Ski style: XCD, Telemark, Backcountry
Favorite Skis: K2 Work Stinx w/ 22 Designs Outlaw X, Madshus Annum w/ Voile 3 Pin
Favorite boots: TX Comp, Alico Ski March

Re: Meidjo with Alpine boots?

Post by EvanTrem » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:59 pm

Although I don't have personal experience with the Meidjo I remember reading in a review that the release on the dynafit heel for the Meidjo is very weak and is meant to be used in conjunction with the second heel on the binding. I think the heel's release would be too weak to use by itself.

However you could scrounge up a pair of alpine dynafit heels and mount them up behind your Meidjo binding.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:05 pm

EvanTrem wrote:Although I don't have personal experience with the Meidjo I remember reading in a review that the release on the dynafit heel for the Meidjo is very weak and is meant to be used in conjunction with the second heel on the binding. I think the heel's release would be too weak to use by itself.

However you could scrounge up a pair of alpine dynafit heels and mount them up behind your Meidjo binding.
I didn't know about the Meidjo heel. Good to know.

If you go with another manufacturer's heels, just make sure the heel's pin height is correct.

cdn-dave

Post by cdn-dave » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:28 am

Good call on the heel height, never thought of that... The spring strength too, here’s the reply I got from the shop I’m buying from (Telemark Pyranees):

The Rando heel is only made for help the skier go down when he is tired. The spring Din is about 3/4 (30 to 40 kg), and can not be compared to a ski touring heel whose springs are much more powerful.

Thanks for the tips and happy holidays!

cheers
dave