4 Я3AL!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

4 Я3AL!

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:56 am

Åsnes Storetind NATO

How rare is a ski that doesn’t yield a single search result in Google? (Except for the 2 times I mentioned it here...) The millions of servers constituting the GooglePlex* which have been indexing every single bit of the Internet for the past two decades have absolutely no clue about the existence of the Storetind Nato. Can a ski be more hard to find than this? What if someone wants a pair, how can he find one? Is it really a fake, a legend? Or is it real?

Also, can you name one other ski produced in the last 20 years that doesn’t show up on the internet? I’m telling you, it’s the most hard-to-find ski on the planet!
* (Which I once visited, it’s really amazing. )
Storetind Nato sep.jpg
"Probably the most hard-to-find ski on the planet right now. I am setting up a dedicated server monitoring the whole internet in case a pair ever shows up somewhere..."
- Johnny

"Did the Storetind really get made into a Combat ski?!!? I thought that post was a fake..."
- LilCliffy

"I thought that post was a fake too. While I may be an eater of fish, Johnny is a master fisherman and he caught a great big sucker, me! That Combat Storetind was first on my next year list"
- Fisheater

"Your search - "Storetind Nato" - did not match any documents."
-Google Search

IMG_9399-2.jpg
Storetind NATO.jpg
The Storetind Combat is based on the civil version Storetind Carbon. This is a light weight touring ski intended for mountaineering and touring in steep terrain. Storetind Combat is adapted to the needs of special forces, operating in alpine terrain. It is reinforced with carbon in addition to a titanal reinforcement in the binding area. It is also delivered with a white base to avoid visibility. The model has a sidecut of 35 mm, making this ski easy to turn and handle in rough terrain. Early Rise rocker increases flow in powder/deep snow.

-Cross-over between BC and Alpine Touring
-Can be used with 75 mm or Tech Bindings
-Skinlock system
-Early Rise Rocker

From what I can tell, the Storetind was in production from 2008 to 2016. There were several incarnations of the ski, as you can see below. The Storetind NATO version was very short-lived; it was only produced in 2016. They discontinued the Storetind model that year, it became the Falktind 68 afterwards. After research and development in 2017, they improved and completely redesigned the old Storetind to become what is now called the RABB 68 and the Tindan 86. And they are true wonders.
Evolution of the Tinds:
Asnes Storetind Ski Timeline Rabb 68-2.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Cannatonic

Re: 4 Я3AL!

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:02 pm

beautiful skis! The all-white look is one of my favorite topsheets of all time. Good to know the military forces of the world will be equipped for some deep powder turns
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Is that your daughter with the Unicorn of skis??? A most beautiful Unicorn of skis. You wouldn't of hooked me twice, because this isn't Fake Book.
I say amazing, well done. If you ever tire of them, I would be most happy to provide the with a good home.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:40 pm

omg, i hate it when i lust after a thing...but i want those skis!!. santa was good to you :lol: :(

i think i like the all white too cause it's like a blank canvas. it would be totally sweet to have white bases too, i guess until you lose one down the hill tho. you could do something totally custom on the tops which might be fun. should do that on the planks from colemans! actually coleman's should try to get their hands on those things somehow!!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:38 pm

A most beautiful unicorn indeed...!

I agree that white topsheets are the coolest. I wouldn't mind having all my skis plain white. Those white bases are simply beautiful too... I'm not even sure if I have the guts to mount bindings on them... Would that be a crime?

The only bad thing is that I will have to save 1000$ to get the proper pair of boots to complete this setup... 8-)
(Thanks for the update Ben!)

40th ski day in a row here today... Simply THE best day so far... Skiing shirtless in the sun is just the most heavenly thing for me...

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:07 pm

This is like, the best season ever for this crazy little group! WOOOooooOOOOOoooo THE FEVER!

Speaking of skiing shirtless, one of my favorite times to ski is at night on frozen lakes with fast crust... maybe -1 or -2c with a light snow, flying the edges of the lake where the skiing snow collects, putting down miles, naked or shirtless... no one can see, no one knows, only the gliding tracks of my heavenly nightly dreams remain in the morning. Who passed this way? What creature, or man? Skin on snow, sweat in the air, flying over the fish!

(for the record I've never done this naked, only shirtless, but I think it's going to happen this year if conditions are right)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Woodserson wrote:This is like, the best season ever for this crazy little group! WOOOooooOOOOOoooo THE FEVER!

Speaking of skiing shirtless, one of my favorite times to ski is at night on frozen lakes with fast crust... maybe -1 or -2c with a light snow, flying the edges of the lake where the skiing snow collects, putting down miles, naked or shirtless... no one can see, no one knows, only the gliding tracks of my heavenly nightly dreams remain in the morning. Who passed this way? What creature, or man? Skin on snow, sweat in the air, flying over the fish!

(for the record I've never done this naked, only shirtless, but I think it's going to happen this year if conditions are right)
Was it a bird? Was it a plane? No, it was Chuck Flannel.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:02 pm

How? What? Where? Are there more out there?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:21 am

Woodserson wrote:naked or shirtless... no one can see, no one knows,
Precisely my-my kind of skiing. Incognito, unknown and traceless. Poles apart from the loud have-you-seen my new flashy puffy coat, my compression pants, my dog, my tech toes and my expensive Chinese skis group skiers...
lilcliffy wrote:How? What? Where? Are there more out there?
After weeks of research and sending tons of emails, I found only one guy on the planet who has a pair. When I told him how much I was in love with Asnes skis, he was kind enough to send me his only pair, straight from Chelsea, London:
james-5.jpg