BCXC binding mount 15mm behind the balance point?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
EvanTrem
Ski style: XCD, Telemark, Backcountry
Favorite Skis: K2 Work Stinx w/ 22 Designs Outlaw X, Madshus Annum w/ Voile 3 Pin
Favorite boots: TX Comp, Alico Ski March

BCXC binding mount 15mm behind the balance point?

Post by EvanTrem » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi all

Got my lady set up with a new XC setup for the winter. They were originally mounted with SNS Profile BC bindings but I am replacing with NNN BC Magnums. 160cm skis for reference.

Anyway, the drill patterns match so that I can re-mount into the old holes (she is very light so with epoxy I'm not worries about anything ripping out). The rub is that the bindings are different in that it pushes the pivot point about 15mm behind the balance point. Will this be enough to cause stability issues for a beginner skier?

Part of me feels like she'll never notice especially with her beginner skill. However, 15mm is definitely where I start to feel a difference on my own skis.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: BCXC binding mount 15mm behind the balance point?

Post by Woodserson » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:38 pm

What kind of ski and how much downhill are you anticipating?

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:08 am

Depends on the ski, but I think in general moving the binding back gives more glide, but less grip. Moving it forward does the opposite. Having the binding further back will probably also make them more stable on downhills.

EvanTrem
Ski style: XCD, Telemark, Backcountry
Favorite Skis: K2 Work Stinx w/ 22 Designs Outlaw X, Madshus Annum w/ Voile 3 Pin
Favorite boots: TX Comp, Alico Ski March

Post by EvanTrem » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:51 pm

I anticipate 60% rolling terrain 40% downhill. We ski at a lift service area so we always have to decend down to the base area. After putting the binding on top of the ski it shifted the balance point directly under the previously marked point. I'm pretty happy with that placement I think.