of kicker skins and such...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: of kicker skins and such...

Post by Woodserson » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm

I just had a pretty good glide today-- frozen granular with 1 inch of dry powdery fluff and the kicker skins were almost as fast as a non-wax ski, probably as fast as a wax ski too. Really ideal. So conditions definitely feed into the variability. As an example, my hill climb is 1.1 miles long and 680' vert. and I usually do it in 23min on frozen balls of ice but today I crushed it in 20min.

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Side question: does kick wax eventually ruin the glue on kicker skins?

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:31 am

snow-mark wrote:Side question: does kick wax eventually ruin the glue on kicker skins?
My experience with the Madshus Intelligrip skins is that the harder waxes (at least blue, green, black) do not leave any residue on the skin glue, but soft waxes (intended for about 0 Celsius weather= red,purple etc. waxes) leave some residue. Also I have seen that the skin glue is sometimes sometimes sticking to the soft wax so hard that the skin is actually leaving some skin glue residue on the ski.
However, despite looking quite uneven and dirty, the skin glue is still working pretty well. I think I only need to wash the skins and "recharge" the skin glue with a hot iron to make them work almost as new.

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:52 am

Verskis wrote:
snow-mark wrote:Side question: does kick wax eventually ruin the glue on kicker skins?
My experience with the Madshus Intelligrip skins is that the harder waxes (at least blue, green, black) do not leave any residue on the skin glue, but soft waxes (intended for about 0 Celsius weather= red,purple etc. waxes) leave some residue. Also I have seen that the skin glue is sometimes sometimes sticking to the soft wax so hard that the skin is actually leaving some skin glue residue on the ski.
However, despite looking quite uneven and dirty, the skin glue is still working pretty well. I think I only need to wash the skins and "recharge" the skin glue with a hot iron to make them work almost as new.
Thanks