How wrong is my ski/binding/boot setup

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Re: How wrong is my ski/binding/boot setup

Post by FourthCoast » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:07 pm

bgregoire wrote: Or...what exactly are you attempting here as a ski goal?
I guess that is the real question! What I wanted to put together was something that would meet all this:

1. Boots comfortable enough to walk some distance on snow and hard surfaces and even drive a car with them on.
2. A setup I can use right now for mostly flat trails where we go hiking. (If it ever stops raining and starts snowing!)
3. A setup I can use right now on lift served hills to learn how to make some tele turns
4. If and when I get skilled enough I would like to head off trails and find some gentle untouched hills out in the state land nearby and make some turns.

I was trying to keep each component under $100.00. That is -- skis, bindings and boots for $300 or less. My memory of using a non-plastic boot back in the early 2000's also really stuck with me. I have no real reason to not want a plastic boot. I just did not want one.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi there!

Like many of us here, at one time or still, you are in search of the holy one-quiver do-it-all ski. Something everyone wants but no-one can provide.

I think Lilcliffy has it right in recommending you rent some plastic shell tele boots and try out you current combo on the hills. You can tart learning telemark that way.

From the other end (and eventually you ultimate desire), you should consider a voile 3-pin cable binding and a shapely nordic backcountry (read XCD) ski such as the Fischer S98, Fischer E88, Madshus eon (wax or scales), Asnes Ingstad or the unfindable Asnes Rabb 68 or Falketind 62.

You dont want plastic boots if your feel strongly about point #1 and plan on having fun while accomplishing point #2.

Enjoy the rain!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Mountain Mitch

Post by Mountain Mitch » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:14 pm

I know just what you mean about the straight boards we used to try and muscle around the turns!

I think you’ve received some good advice. Those boots just aren’t tele boots and certainly not with that setup. Garment Excusions, Scarpa T4s and some others would be great. You don’t need a big mountain tele boot eg. Scarpa T1. Admittedly, my skiing is on a lot softer snow than you have in Michigan, but you can control that ski with a modest plastic boot. T4s (and others) have a vibram sole like a hiking boot. They are pretty stiff but can be very comfortable and you can walk or tour in them very well. You definitely need to step up the boot!

I am a bit concerned about your mounting point. You don’t say how you determined it. They look like they may be a little back of what I’d recommend, especially for a beginner. Coming from DH equipment you will have a strong tendency to drive from the back seat. You need to learn to centre your weight and get over the ski to drive that outside ski around. But that’s mostly technique and learning from another member or a pro will quickly get you onto that. Once you do you will be able to use your sliding sense to get the balance through the turns - and to make lots of them as quickly as the situation calls for.
Good luck and enjoy!

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:41 am

I agree with pretty much all the suggestions on the boots/compatability issues. Also agree with Mithch that the mounting point looks kind of far back. Good default point for that vintage ski would likely be pin line on chord center... might want to look at that, regardless of what boot you'll end up with.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:10 am

This is very observant and excellent advice! I train forest technicians for a living and you are putting me to shame!
I didn't even think to look at that photo and consider mounting point!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

FourthCoast

Post by FourthCoast » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am now looking for a much stiffer, likely plastic, boot for this tele setup.

Just before mounting the bindings I got it in my head that I wanted the free pivot point to be the balance point of the ski. Right now with the X2 in 'tour' if I lift the ski by the binding the ski stays level with the ground.

I will find a better boot and also move the binding to be pin line on chord center.

Just got back from GoodWill. I paid $2 for some 75mm NN waxless cross country skis that may be older than me. I have never had much interest in XC -- but I need to use this new boot for something. Hopefully I can get all the old wax and whatever else off the ski and try some kick and glide this winter.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:01 pm

Awesome deal on those skis!!! $2US? Love it.
FourthCoast wrote: 2. A setup I can use right now for mostly flat trails where we go hiking. (If it ever stops raining and starts snowing!)

4. If and when I get skilled enough I would like to head off trails and find some gentle untouched hills out in the state land nearby and make some turns.
This sure sounds like "XC" skiing/Nordic touring to me! ;) :D
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

FourthCoast

Post by FourthCoast » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:41 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Awesome deal on those skis!!! $2US? Love it.
FourthCoast wrote: 2. A setup I can use right now for mostly flat trails where we go hiking. (If it ever stops raining and starts snowing!)

This sure sounds like "XC" skiing/Nordic touring to me! ;) :D
Fair enough. I did some XC skiing as a kid with skis that looked a lot like what I just got from the thrift shop. I really disliked how even the most modest hill made me completely lose the ability to control the direction I was going. This is what I want to avoid. I want something that I can turn.
Last edited by FourthCoast on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FourthCoast

Post by FourthCoast » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:32 pm

The $2.00 skis seem to be workable after a hot wax and scrape. We briefly had snow on the ground so I kicked around the backyard and reconfirmed that I am not able to turn skis like this. I still think these will be fun when going out on flat trails with my family.

Do I need a quiver of boots and bindings as well as skis? Or is there a Nordic binding and boot combination that will work with most any type of ski?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:09 pm

I am from the east side of Michigan, skied our hills, only beer league raced. I was only serious about skiing well and being able to ski steep terrain when the opportunity was available. As the Millenium turned I had didn't have the cash for western trips. Tele however made the local ski hill fun. Teaching kids group lessons paid for my skiing, plus also gave me the opportunity to clinic with some really top shelf skiers albeit on alpine gear. My son was born in 2002. By the winter of 2003 he noticed if I was gone at night skiing and teaching lessons. Spending those nights with my then baby boy was more important than skiing.
Family responsibilities and then the recession of 2009 kept me off skis until 2012. It was then I bought an S-112 and T-4's. I had a plastic boot that didn't have the proper flex point and that had to be replaced. I also wanted a waxless ski that would turn, l didn't know anything about kick wax. So that was the rig I started on. I skied my local Oakland County trails. I also have a few more open down hill areas to make turns.
Well, I still like downhill turns, but a funny thing happened. I started to really enjoy trail skiing. First I bought an Alico Ski March leather boot, for easier touring (cross country skiing), it also is a pretty decent turning boot. As a matter of fact, quite a lot of folks wouldn't want to tour on it, but 15 miles is a pretty good outing for around the house. For me it isn't to heavy for that. Next I bought a USGI ski from Coleman's, because I wanted a faster trail ski. I also wanted to try kick wax.
Well, this year to start the season I bought an Asnes Gamme 54 and mounted it NNN-BC. Yep full bore cross country skis. They are metal edge skis, and they can turn (the USGI can turn as well), but make no mistake, they're cross country skis. What happened? The mountain bike trails around my house are a blast on skis. There are a lot more trail skiing days, then backcountry downhill days. So I am now a cross country skier.
If it makes you feel better, I also bought the fattest back country ski I now own this year as well. So being a cross country skier isn't some kind of curse. I am also the owner of a big fat (for me) powder backcountry touring ski. I'm hoping to make some turns on a dune near you this winter. However dune snow needs to be skied quickly. You wouldn't believe how fast it can get sand blown.
Don't feel bad about not being able to turn your $2 skis in your new boots. I do not believe I could do really well on that outfit either. Good luck in your boot search.