Karhu 10th Mountain Tour; the "Catamount Class" design profile; and the quest for a mile-crushing deep snow ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Karhu 10th Mountain Tour; the "Catamount Class" design profile; and the quest for a mile-crushing deep snow ski

Post by lowangle al » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:09 am

Verskis wrote:
lilcliffy wrote: In the meantime-
I memory serves- our Finnish friend Verskis said he might be able to look after getting a set of Finnish backcountry touring skis shipped to NA...
Sounded like it might be pricey...
In the meantime- until I can create the space and time to build a pair- perhaps I should start saving for a shipment of these skis from Finland...
Yes, I looked for different shipping options, but none were very affordable. I can't remember the prices right now, but I think it was about as much as the skis itself.
LC, it's possible that you could ship several pairs for the same price as shipping one pair. That's how the shipping was for a 12 foot canoe setting pole that I recently purchased. All you need to do is get an order together.

Slimfinn
Ski style: Nordic backcountry tour
Favorite Skis: Karhu-Tour 10th mt- XCD GT Kinetic
Favorite boots: Alpina 2000, Merrell Frontier

Re: Karhu 10th Mountain Tour; the "Catamount Class" design profile; and the quest for a mile-crushing deep snow ski

Post by Slimfinn » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:28 pm

lilcliffy,
I am curious if you have had the tour 10th mtn out yet. I have a pair myself that are waxless, and they are my newest set of skies and yes bought probably 20 years ago along with some Alpina 2000?? boots. Finally back where there is snow and looking to get them back out. But also for some reason thinking of picking up some Epochs with 3 pins and cable I have come across.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Slimfinn wrote:lilcliffy,
I am curious if you have had the tour 10th mtn out yet. I have a pair myself that are waxless, and they are my newest set of skies and yes bought probably 20 years ago along with some Alpina 2000?? boots. Finally back where there is snow and looking to get them back out. But also for some reason thinking of picking up some Epochs with 3 pins and cable I have come across.

Slimfinn, I don't know for Lilcliffy, but I have been using a pair of 189cm for a few years and love them. I think writing about them here is one of the triggers for LC's hunt....and capture of a pair. Even though I find trhe 10tm quite good on the down, those Epochs should be even better, at least in pow.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Slimfinn
Ski style: Nordic backcountry tour
Favorite Skis: Karhu-Tour 10th mt- XCD GT Kinetic
Favorite boots: Alpina 2000, Merrell Frontier

Post by Slimfinn » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:21 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Slimfinn, I don't know for Lilcliffy, but I have been using a pair of 189cm for a few years and love them. I think writing about them here is one of the triggers for LC's hunt....and capture of a pair. Even though I find trhe 10tm quite good on the down, those Epochs should be even better, at least in pow.
Great to know, I need to get back out and in the swing of things maybe before I try jumping into something new. Now that I have a couple fast growing tag a longs I was thinking I may need to update to keep up soon. But its been fun getting them all set up too. right now we just hit the forest roads and thru the trees, but there are a couple lots that everyone leaving seems to have AT setups on and I am curious about where it leads

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:00 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Woodserson wrote: (one thing to keep in mind is that these skis, from what I've read, have very soft tips and the softness starts way back the ski... who knows if it's "double cambered.")
Yes- I can't imagine long Finnish touring skis are double-cambered! I can't imagine how heavy one would have to be to engage the wax pocket on a truly double-cambered 270cm ski!!!
True double camber and truly deep soft snow do not go together!
That is true, however a ski that long should be tuned to soft snow, no compromise soft snow only. The ski certainly isn't going to be a turner, however a bit of rocker would help it turn. In a ski that long, with a low camber, it shouldn't be that difficult to make a ski engage underfoot on a weighted kick, and still ride off the snow half weighted. I don't know how much kindleling I would make with a draw knife, but looking at the FT I know I could make an effective wax pocket. I wouldn't care what you called it, so long as the ski performed to my expectations.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:10 am

Slimfinn wrote:lilcliffy,
Hello Slimfinn!

I have not yet mounted the Tour 10th Mtn yet- I need to get some bindings for them.

You have the waxless version? Onnitrack? What length? Are they the same dimensions as the one I have (there were a number of very different "Tour 10th Mtn" skis over the years)? What do you think of them?

We have the Epoch/XCD 10th Mountain in a number of different lengths- it is a VERY different ski than the Tour 10th Mtn that I have- the flex and camber is MUCH softer and rounder. I gave up trying to like the Epoch/XCD 10th Mtn many years ago- I don't like it any snow context. I much prefer the wider, floatier Guide/Annum in deep soft snow- and both the Epoch and the Annum are useless on consolidated snow.

The Epoch was my growing son's favorite hill-country, soft-snow touring ski for several years-he is now too heavy for them. He is beginning to get turned on to grip wax and has been going back and forth between the Eon Wax and E109 Tour this winter. Though he did try my new Asnes Falketind recently- I am not be able to get those back from him...My son loves to ski steep tight lines through the woods- but, he is now coming on my longer tours and simply cannot keep up with the pace on a ski like the Epoch...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:33 am

LC, having tried out my new Ingstads 200 (older version) last night, I am very very impressed. Comparing the older 10th MTN tour with it, man, their sidecut profiles are sooo similar. A single Ingstad 200cm ski weighs 150g less than a 10th Mtns tour 189cm! Yes, its a woodcore too. On snow, they are obvioulsy both deep snow nordic skis and tend to skid off to the side on flat hardpack. Both turn quite well for nordic skis on the down although, from what I remember, the 10Mtn 189s are a little easier to turn, most probably due to their softer uniform camber and shortness. The Ingstad obviously has a double camber, though surely not as stiff as the Amundsen in a same length for example.

I'm currently thinking there is a lot of overlap between these two skis. I doubt the karhus will be on my feet much now given their extra weight.

I must admit I felt like a viking knight when wearing Ingstads and Sydpolens.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Buda

Post by Buda » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:58 am

I just picked up a pair of Karhu Dorado (175cm, 86,68,73) for my wife. I have never heard of these before but they were mint and cheap.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Buda wrote:I just picked up a pair of Karhu Dorado (175cm, 86,68,73) for my wife. I have never heard of these before but they were mint and cheap.
I'm pretty sure those replaced the Karhu 10th Mountain Tour mentionned in the OP before they came back in a curvier form (now made by Madshus). Rodbelan should know. Only made in Waxless though, that is one of the reasons why that era of10th MTN tour are so interesting to us. Are they foam or wood cored? Good find! Mint and Cheap is always a great combination!

Buda

Post by Buda » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:35 pm

Not sure but probably wood.
KarhuDorado.jpg