Alpina Discovery 102 too short for me?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Alpina Discovery 102 too short for me?

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:24 am

This is my first post so please don't be hard on me :D

I have just bought a new pair of ski and tried them this morning but I have doubt about the length of the skis... I am 6 foot and around 205-210 pounds. I am an experienced BC skier and I have been using old Fischer E-99 but I wanted to upgrade to a wider ski with better ability going downhill. I mostly do couple of days trip from the same base, so we only carry our backpack 2 days with the backpack being way lighter on the way back... So I tried my new Alpina Discovery 102 178 cm and I am starting to regret already... I must say that the snow conditions are horrible with a shallow base and some hard snow on top so one must keep that in mind...

So I wonder if they are too short at 178 cm considering my weight and also considering I will go on multi days expedition with my friends. Of course the E-99 are really good for gliding but particularly bad when it comes to go back hill in narrow trail.

I must say that I was also looking to buy Fischer S-Bound 98 but they are so hard to come by where I live so I settled for the Alpina. Those Alpina are supposed to be better downhill but the Fischer are surely better for the long trail...

Can you help me clear my head :(

Thank you.

Nitram Tocrut

Re: Alpina Discovery 102 too short for me?

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:25 am

I wanted to add that I have Alpina Alaska boot and a voile binding

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:46 am

Yes, they are too short for you. With your weight + backpack you are crushing them to the floor, the scales are dragging, and life sucks.

You are not alone. I have seen lots of people on Alpina skis that were too short for them. My occasional XC partner into the woods bought Alpina skis that were low 170's and he weighs 180lbs. And this was from a store that deals in Alpina skis. I put him on my Fischer Traverse 78's 189cm and he couldn't believe the difference and was much much happier. By a magnitude of 10. Fischer now makes their skis in 199cm lengths too! I bet you would be really happy with the Excursion 88 in a 199cm if you are 205lbs + backpack. It will still be harder on the down, but a little more stable than the E99 and much better support. And they will be way faster than the Alpina's.

I do not understand how Alpina is deciding to sell their skis or what they are telling their salespeople. It is weird, and I am sorry for you. I think the Alpina skis are really just for intermediate to beginner skiers skiing around a golf course or park in a city when it snows.

Where are you located? What other skis can you get?

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:27 pm

Thank you for the answer although it is not reconfirming at all ;)

I actually found some Fischer S-Bound 98 and 88 close to where I live, so I will try to get a refund for my Alpina as I think I was not well advised. I wish myself good luck with that...

I am hesitating between the 88 and the 98. I read that the 98 is good in everything but do not excel anywhere. As I would like to do some touring in Tremblant, I think that I could attach skins to the 98 and enjoy telemarking in the beginners slope with my Alpina Alaska boots and a Voile telemark binding with cables. That might some optimistic but I did some telemark a couple of years ago with plastic boots in resort and I could ski the intermediate slopes early before the fatigue settled in.

From what I read, the S-bound 98 seems to be the kind of ski I should look for as it is not bad, but not great, for gliding and surely better than the 88 for the down. From my short experience with them, I think I won't enjoy the Alpinas for the touring side of our expeditions.

Thank's for your help!

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:47 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:Thank you for the answer although it is not reconfirming at all ;)

I actually found some Fischer S-Bound 98 and 88 close to where I live, so I will try to get a refund for my Alpina as I think I was not well advised. I wish myself good luck with that...

I am hesitating between the 88 and the 98. I read that the 98 is good in everything but do not excel anywhere. As I would like to do some touring in Tremblant, I think that I could attach skins to the 98 and enjoy telemarking in the beginners slope with my Alpina Alaska boots and a Voile telemark binding with cables. That might some optimistic but I did some telemark a couple of years ago with plastic boots in resort and I could ski the intermediate slopes early before the fatigue settled in.

From what I read, the S-bound 98 seems to be the kind of ski I should look for as it is not bad, but not great, for gliding and surely better than the 88 for the down. From my short experience with them, I think I won't enjoy the Alpinas for the touring side of our expeditions.

Thank's for your help!
Salut Nitram Tout cru!

Les Alpina 102 doivent être particulièrement pénibles pour des randonnées avec leur énorme sidecut (ce sont plutot des ski XCD dédiés à la descente):
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=938

Le E99 est un excellent ski pour la rando mais avec certaines limitations pour la descente. Le E88 et le 98 sont effectivement des alternatives intéressantes pour toi. Si tu as les moyens, tu pourrais également considérer le Asnes Ingstad vendu chez La Cordée. Aussi: Sporten Expedition, Rossignol BC90, etc.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:08 pm

Welcome!!!

I have never tried an Alpina ski. They are all similar in geometry...I wonder if they are rigorously tested outside of the Alps? Nordic touring at high elevation in Slovenia would be one steep affair indeed. I wonder if the very compact geometry of Alpina's skis are a product of that mountainous terrain?

Just side-read Ben's post- was about to look for Johnny's review!

Skiing in Tremblant? The snow must be pretty good in the heart of winter though? Or- at least it was in my childhood memory!

Trying to figure out what you want..
You want a Nordic touring ski that is more fun/manageable on the downhill?

The Fischer 98 is certainly turnier than the E99! At your weight the 98 will not offer you more float than the 88- trust me- I weigh 185lbs without my pack and the 112 is much better in deep snow than the 98.

So- my advice is if you are not looking for a deep snow-powder touring ski than I would consider something more distance-oriented than the 98. I am not convinced that you can find an 88 in a 199cm- I think a 189cm 88 will be too short for your weight...

Do you want more float than the E99- or just better turning/downhill performance?
Skis with similar float to the E99- but better turniness:
1) Asnes Nansen (I would think you would need the 205cm to get the kick and glide out of this ski at your weight...)
2) Asnes Gamme 54* (I add an asterix because this ski is definitely easier to pressure and make a true carved turn than the E99 Xtralite- but, the E99 is lighter and has more tip rocker...)

I should also add that I use long skis for the kind of skiing that I think you are describing...But- I do not make linked turns when I have to come down a steep narrow trail- I make striding/step and jump turns. I make wide open linked turns on these long ski when I can ski down through an open glade.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:03 am

just coming back for my second ride with the Alpina's. I tried them in one of our winter rye field covered with a very thin layer of snow with a crust. It is about the only kind of terrain where I can ski right now :| I also brought my old Fischer 99 210 cm and I did not notice much difference on those bad conditions between the 2 pair of skis. One thing I noticed is the feeling of being more stable on the snow.

I guess Alpina don't make those skis longer than 178 for a reason... I can't think that they are intentionally not making skis for guys of my size and weight :? Thank you for all the answers so far. I will keep this subject updated as opportunities arise to try them.

Waiting for the snow...

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:40 am

I’m the same weight and height as you...just started using the Alpina Discovery 80 208’s and I’m really enjoying them. Getting a nice kick n’ glide (mainly several inches of powder on a firm base) on trails and pretty decent flotation off trail (my preferred terrain) as well. I’m still in the learning stages of the downhill aspect but so far stability and control has been better than expected. I think my boot (Alico army surplus) is a bit stiffer than yours, I believe it’s an asset for me. The 80’s might be another option to contemplate.
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:43 am

I copied a post I submitted in the review section concerning my Alpina Discovery 102

I tried them one more time on 10-15cm of fresh snow on hard base and that lead to ask this question :

Do you think they are almost like AT skis?

I have used them a couple now times and I found them almost too fast in narrow trail like I have in our forest.

I wonder if I should install AT binding on them. They have close to no camber and I think it is one of the reason why they are so fast...

What do you think?

Thank you for your help!