Frankenbindings

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Re: Frankenbindings

Post by Verskis » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:45 am

Inspiredcapers wrote:Not sure if this quantifies as FrankenBinding or not but it’s working AND giving me peace of mind as I’ve still got a tender ankle from last months misadventure...

WonderfulWife gifted me with a set of brand new Telebry release plates. I mounted them (on inserts) with a Voile binding. The cables are thrift store Cobras that lay flat behind the heel riser and snap in the back of my Alicos easily.

Have the DIN set for 5 right now. Had one release so far when the weak ankle ski submarined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course they count as Frankenbindings, as they have parts from more than one set of bindings :)
Nice setup! But do you ski with the cables laying flat on the ski and not fastened to anything? Do they never get under your boot heel accidentally, nor make annoying noise?

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:02 am

Inspiredcapers wrote:WonderfulWife gifted me with a set of brand new Telebry release plates. I mounted them (on inserts) with a Voile binding. The cables are thrift store Cobras that lay flat behind the heel riser and snap in the back of my Alicos easily.

Have the DIN set for 5 right now. Had one release so far when the weak ankle ski submarined.
Could you do a review of the Telebry plates? That would be interesting... When you put your boot in the binding and keep the ski solidly in place, do you notice any wiggle if you pry the boot? Mine were like that...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:13 pm

Verskis wrote:
Inspiredcapers wrote:Not sure if this quantifies as FrankenBinding or not but it’s working AND giving me peace of mind as I’ve still got a tender ankle from last months misadventure...

WonderfulWife gifted me with a set of brand new Telebry release plates. I mounted them (on inserts) with a Voile binding. The cables are thrift store Cobras that lay flat behind the heel riser and snap in the back of my Alicos easily.

Of course they count as Frankenbindings, as they have parts from more than one set of bindings :)
Nice setup! But do you ski with the cables laying flat on the ski and not fastened to anything? Do they never get under your boot heel accidentally, nor make annoying noise?
I didn’t have an issue with them getting under my boot but they did make a bit of noise. I plan on remedying that with something similar to the ‘post’ (I think it was a bushing) mentioned in an above post.

Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
Inspiredcapers wrote:WonderfulWife gifted me with a set of brand new Telebry release plates. I mounted them (on inserts) with a Voile binding. The cables are thrift store Cobras that lay flat behind the heel riser and snap in the back of my Alicos easily.

Could you do a review of the Telebry plates? That would be interesting... When you put your boot in the binding and keep the ski solidly in place, do you notice any wiggle if you pry the boot? Mine were like that...
Since it’s the end of the season for me (extreme meltage) the Telebry review has to wait awhile. I plan on two reviews- the setup here and something kinda interesting I’ve got in the works for a retroish telemark setup next season.

I haven’t noticed any play but I’ve only got about 20 hours on them. Guess I’ll see next season.

Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:20 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:

Since it’s the end of the season for me (extreme meltage) the Telebry review has to wait awhile. I plan on two reviews- the setup here and something kinda interesting I’ve got in the works for a retroish telemark setup next season.

I haven’t noticed any play but I’ve only got about 20 hours on them. Guess I’ll see next season.
Did you write this review?