If you could only have one ski for your most typical skiing...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: If you could only have one ski for your most typical skiing...

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:24 am

If I could have only one ski it would be the Vector bc. Reason being that it is the most versatile ski I have. There is nowhere that I have ever skied that I wouldn't feel comfortable on it. From the most technical downhills to a lap around the lake it will work. From Ak. to Pa. it would be my choice. I was wishing I had them back in Pa. earlier this year when we got a big pre Thanksgiving Day storm. I only got 4 days skiing before it melted. On one of those days the snow crusted up. It seemed supportive and carveable enough for fun turns on the right ski but challenging and unpredictable otherwise.

I pair the Vector with T4s and 3pin HWs. For me it is the combination that will produce the most fun most of the time and will maximize skiing opportunities when conditions are bad.

If i could choose a second ski I would be happy with a waxable xc ski and xc boot for the many miles of old logging roads where I could enjoy that xc feel of flying through the woods eating up miles and also enjoy making turns.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: If you could only have one ski for your most typical skiing...

Post by fisheater » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:45 pm

lowangle al wrote:If I could have only one ski it would be the Vector bc. Reason being that it is the most versatile ski I have. There is nowhere that I have ever skied that I wouldn't feel comfortable on it. From the most technical downhills to a lap around the lake it will work. From Ak. to Pa. it would be my choice. I was wishing I had them back in Pa. earlier this year when we got a big pre Thanksgiving Day storm. I only got 4 days skiing before it melted. On one of those days the snow crusted up. It seemed supportive and carveable enough for fun turns on the right ski but challenging and unpredictable otherwise.

I pair the Vector with T4s and 3pin HWs. For me it is the combination that will produce the most fun most of the time and will maximize skiing opportunities when conditions are bad.

If i could choose a second ski I would be happy with a waxable xc ski and xc boot for the many miles of old logging roads where I could enjoy that xc feel of flying through the woods eating up miles and also enjoy making turns.
Al, if I remember correctly you aren't skiing the longest Vector? Just curious because I have an Asnes Tindan 86 (similar to an Objective) at 176 cm. I am 5'9" and 195 lbs former concrete contractor, now construction superintendent. I figured you wouldn't be a light weight since you have been a cement mason. Something about working hard for so many years, your upper body seems to get thick as you get older.
The reason I ask, as my Tindan are the shortest ski I have ever owned. I am not sure if they will come out for 8", I'll have to see.