Powder touring ski options

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
treehugger

Re: Powder touring ski options

Post by treehugger » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:44 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:11 am

My take on it coming from a strong alpine background is that you need to decide if you want to use plastic boots and telefake or if you want light leathers or soft synthetic boots and "xcd". In my opinion, if you get plastic boots, you mind as well get an AT setup with pin bindings.

Also, since you are new to the sport, if you choose NNN BC and soft boots (not plastic), I recommend wider skis with fishscales like the S112 for Tahoe. also, especially for your weight and height.

The FT62 is great in perfect new snow for xcd. So much fun...but its an advanced ski. narrow and light. Crud and crust are terrible. It has a high learning curve. If you ski often, it is a great ski. I ski 4 days/wk and in the last 2 months, since I bought them, I am getting used to them now. Each time I take them out, I am getting better.

In spring/summer corn, the S112 is fun! I wouldn't use the expensive beautiful FT62 for that...don't want to ruin them from all the pebbles, rocks, and sticks... get cheap full skins and EZ skins for the s112 instead.
Thanks for the advice. I think the best choice for me is the Ingstad with the nnnbc/alaska setup I currently have. According to Asnes: "The perfect ski for steeper terrain, deeper snow, and demanding decents" My main interest is touring after storms when the snow is ideal. If I ever want to get into touring for turns an excursion boot looks nice as was suggested earlier in this post.
fisheater wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:40 pm
Wax is awesome in powder. X-skins are reported to be good in not good wax conditions. Read the X-skins Klister thread
Thanks for confirming that wax is good choice for powder. Is that also true for mellow climbing as well as kick and glide? I had focused on wax-less skis mainly based on reviews of their climbing ability but also read complaints about them in powder. Would prefer not to rely on Skins but will consider as option when needed. That would also be true for waxless as well wouldn't it?

treehugger

Post by treehugger » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:53 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:26 pm
Also, I noticed putting Polar grip wax (V05) on the whole ski and blue wax in the kick zone works very well for gentle slopes and allows for better control going downhill.
Not sure if this is a really stupid idea but..Wondering if anyone has tried polar grip wax on a waxless ski (outside scales) to get better grip in poor conditions?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:57 pm

treehugger wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:53 pm

Not sure if this is a really stupid idea but..Wondering if anyone has tried polar grip wax on a waxless ski (outside scales) to get better grip in poor conditions?
Yes, definitely.

And in reference to your other post, above, keep in mind the Ingstad is a XC ski, and Asnes' description of the ski is within that class. It turns well in steep terrain... For a XC ski.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:43 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:25 pm
thanks!

"telefake" I think refers to what some on this site who think that you can get away with sloppier form when you wear stiff plastic boots vs. soft leather boots that doesnt have ankle and shin support. I suppose there is some truth in it. No offense to those who wear plastic boots...I think one has to weigh out the pros and cons for wearing them
I'll buy that. You can get away with sloppier form with stiff plastic boots. I think that "sloppiness" is that the boots make it hard to be completely centered. The unrestricted ROM of light boots makes it easier to get centered. My T4s have the same ROM as my leather boots so that solves that problem, but even with the stiffest boots you can get it dialed in.

I was able to get the best fit I ever had with the thermomoldable liners and they are just a couple ounces per boot heavier than my Merrils. I found the T4s have the ROM of light boots with the edge control of plastic.

treehugger

Post by treehugger » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:15 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:57 pm
treehugger wrote:

Yes, definitely.

And in reference to your other post, above, keep in mind the Ingstad is a XC ski, and Asnes' description of the ski is within that class. It turns well in steep terrain... For a XC ski.
Yes I want a XC ski that can handle powder and steep terrain not a down hill ski. I think I got a bit off track in considering objective.

Just reread your post: wax vs scales vs skins and found comment by lilcliffy:
"grip waxing my so-called "waxless" scaled skis has completely transformed them and greatly extended their range of utility."

Great post that really helps me understand strengths and weakness of waxing. It starts off convincing me to get wax skis and skins and ends up making me want waxless! Both would be good for the Ingstad but think I should try wax version for powder winter conditions and use one of my waxless skis in the spring.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:08 am

treehugger wrote:
jyw5 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:26 pm
Also, I noticed putting Polar grip wax (V05) on the whole ski and blue wax in the kick zone works very well for gentle slopes and allows for better control going downhill.
I hot iron on polar grip the entire base of my S112 and S125...including scales. 3 coats. I skiied the S112 today with 65mm mohair mix EZ skins. Never took them off. It was -8F. They skiied beautifully on dry deep powder.

See the pictures, pictures, pictures thread to see photos.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:33 am

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:57 pm
treehugger wrote:

Yes, definitely.

Great point, Woodserson. Asnes xc skis turn well in steep terrain... for a xc ski. It could very well be my lack of skills, but a side by side comparison of my S112 vs FT62 on steep and deep...the S112 is easier for me. I can make parallel turns and the occasional tele turn the on S112 going down a black diamond run and cut through crud. I am having a harder time on the FT62. The FT62 is light and I can make nice turns when the snow isn't so deep and the slope is moderate.

That being said, your Ingstad is a good choice for what you are doing with it...but if you decide to buy another ski for steep terrain, consider the S112 or splurge for a long pair of Rabb 68 (for your weight and height I would go 200cm).

I'm up early this morning to do laps from dawn until dusk and will alternate between the S112s and FT62.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:13 pm

The FT is a fun but moderate slope, nice snow ski. In steeper stuff, with mank, my Objectives and T4s come out.

treehugger

Post by treehugger » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:29 pm

[/quote]
I hot iron on polar grip the entire base of my S112 and S125...including scales. 3 coats. I skiied the S112 today with 65mm mohair mix EZ skins. Never took them off. It was -8F. They skiied beautifully on dry deep powder.
[/quote]

Polar w skins sounds like it compliments both wax and waxless in conditions they struggle.

[/quote]
That being said, your Ingstad is a good choice for what you are doing with it...but if you decide to buy another ski for steep terrain, consider the S112 or splurge for a long pair of Rabb 68 (for your weight and height I would go 200cm).
[/quote]
Woodserson wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:13 pm
The FT is a fun but moderate slope, nice snow ski. In steeper stuff, with mank, my Objectives and T4s come out.
If I see a pair of S112 on sale I might grab a pair but if I'm end up getting into any steep powder in Tahoe Objectives will be min.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:23 am

Sorry for the trip report...maybe this needs to be posted somewhere else. But since we are on the topic of powder touring ski options...

It warmed up to 11F this morning! Thats 20 degrees warmer than yesterday. I skiied a different area than yesterday up the road that had more fresh snow but steeper lines. Both skis, S112 and FT62, with 3 layers of polar, were amazing on the downhill. I clocked in at about 22mph on the FT62. I used full skins and boot packed the top of Microdot at Hatcher Pass, AK. I managed to do 3 runs. The FT62 was light, fast, and incredible on the powder. The S112 excelled in the more challenging areas of crud, thin breakable crust with bottomless snow, and sadly, exposed rock. I ran over 2.. :-(

I definitely pushed the limits of the setups today. NNN BC with Fischer OTX 5 boots.

The highlight of the day was the morning...watching 3 skiiers ascend one of those steep chutes (right about where and when the sun rose) and ski down. I summitted my mtn about the same time they reached the ridge. It was cool to see them from across the ways. They made it over to the highest point to right of the sunrise.

All in all, a great day. 4700 ft vertical in 9.8 miles. Thanks for reading.
_DSC3213_stitch_DxO.JPG
_DSC3174.JPG