Line Sakana set up for tele?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bigtexas

Re: Line Sakana set up for tele?

Post by bigtexas » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:28 am

Also, where did you mount your bindings? I assume your boot line at recommended?

MJ_Ramsay
Favorite Skis: Line Sakana
Favorite boots: Garmont Syner-G

Post by MJ_Ramsay » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:15 am

Yes, although I asked the shop (a knowledgeable crew) about mounting at chord center, they suggested to mount at where the designer/manufacture indicates (which as I recall is slightly further back) but I don’t recall now: they either have a toe line mark or mid boot mark that Line recommends and provides.
I haven’t noticed nor thought twice about the binding position ever since.

The fat tips just float.

Dnomalbob

Post by Dnomalbob » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:07 am

I just picked up a pair of 2020 Sakanas - 174. Trying to decide how to mount them myself.
Choices are with my older hammerhead - T1 boots combo. Or with a NTN (Outlaw X) - Scarpa TX pro setup. I find that the stiffness in the NTN system really drives my back ski tip downwards, and am hoping that the float of these skis might help with that.
With the playfulness of these skis I am tempted to just mount them with my older, more blown out & softer setup.
Any suggestions? I am really looking forward to playing on both groomers and powder!

MJ_Ramsay
Favorite Skis: Line Sakana
Favorite boots: Garmont Syner-G

Post by MJ_Ramsay » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:08 pm

Hi Dnomalbob,
Congratulations on the new Sakanas- I hope you enjoy them, whichever way you end up mounting them.

Unfortunately, I have no direct experience on NTN to provide an informed opinion about your question: I’m either old school or just frugal and am still rockin my 75mm boots and bindings. Tho’ next set will be NTN for step-in/out ease.

Also consider that in addition to the tip width, the mounting point is slightly further back from center, which might also mitigate a sense of your back ski tip driving in quite as much.

Might your decision be affected by the type of skiing you plan to do with this set up?...(% in bounds vs out of bounds, +/- of step in ease, are both options of equal weight and performance in each setting?)
...what your other set of skis/boots/binding would be if you go one way or the other with these(?).

Personally, I think I’d be inclined to mount the NTNs and go forward with that. If I had two sets of boots/bindings like you do, that is what I would have elected to do from the start.