Mystery of the Single Camber Wax Pocket Explained

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Mystery of the Single Camber Wax Pocket Explained

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:21 pm

Woodserson wrote:SO I think I really like this explanation in the OP but I really don't understand it. Can someone translate Fish for Woodserson-Dummyman?
I'm a construction superintendent, have been an estimator and project manager. As you can see, very limited drawing skills. Does this help?
IMG_1298.JPG

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:25 pm

OOOOHHHH I get it! Love da muscles!
IMG_1298.JPG

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:18 am

fisheater wrote: I'm a construction superintendent, have been an estimator and project manager. As you can see, very limited drawing skills. Does this help?
Well it surely helped me. Are you flexing your skis with or without bindings installed? I wonder to what degree that flat spot you found is engineered into the skis or a result of the stiffness induced from a screwed on binding.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:48 am

Ben, while my Tindan 86 are a considerably stiffer flexing ski, they exhibit the same type of flex pattern with a flat area in the arc. My stick man needs to use both hands and all his muscles to bend the Tindan, when only anchoring the tail and arcing the ski from the tip ;).
The Tindan still are not mounted, but I am finally getting some snow. It needs to keep snowing for me to have enough snow to take my USGI skis for a trail ride. They will still end up sparking on some rocks.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:49 pm

I still think it's traditional camber but Bob may be right and it does function as a wax pocket, preserving wax and helping glide. :idea: When I make my wax pocket too long it seems to wear off of the tips and tails first, leading me to believe that they are carrying more weight than underfoot.