Cold Clothing

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Cold Clothing

Post by bgregoire » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 am

Leo Tasker wrote: Don't even get me started on gloves... :lol:
Yeah gloves! Thats an even tougher one! I've got a mild Renaud syndrome so have tried so many things! Dachstein mitts are now on the top of my list most days.

Leo I do not have first hand experience with waxing polycotton. We have a block of Fjallraven wax here but as I have never found the need, it remains unused. I'm guessing our local climate here is a lot drier than yours around Oslo.

Here is my 2014 review of the MEC RD Windshell Jacket I mentionned earlier:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2288.

I wrote this before buying the Keb but I still agree with everything in there today.

Ok, I'm off skiing now, we just got a dump and work is cancelled!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:14 am

Ok, I'm off skiing now, we just got a dump and work is cancelled!
Jealous! Have a good one!

Totally agree with your review, a good hooded windshell is so versatile, it should be in everyone's wardrobe!

STG

Post by STG » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:56 am

Baselayer: synthetic or silk
Midlayer: wool
Shell: down jacket- weight depending on temperture
Bottoms: down pants (Western Mountaineering/Feathered Friends) or gortex shell/heavy weight wool long underwear

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:00 pm

Oh, by the way if ever someone is actually getting serious about the Fjallraven Keb, keep in mind it was designed as a technical slim fit fall jacket. I sized up one size (M to L) for winter use. It doesn't even feel big and I have all the room I need for layering.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm

I like wool.
My favorite wool pants were Filson whipcord pants. Tight worsted and fairly windproof. No longer made unfortunatly.
My current pants are Ibex Scholler softshell ski pants, also discontinued.
Woolies next to my skin is way more comfortable than synthetics.

Gloves: collection of gloves and mitts and liners depending on cold index and moisture content.

I usually ski with some hardshell jacket in typical winter conditions to block the winds.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

Genoah77
Favorite boots: Alaskas

Post by Genoah77 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:12 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 am
Woods, Leo,

Just before going into the polycotton or Ventile (100% cotton)...I also endorse the mesh liners. I have the polyproylene and the wool versions from Aclima, great great stuff.

Woods, about polycotton in warm weather, you are right. But I live north of you and we frequently ski on cold snow, not rain! Than again, the fabric can be waxed to improve water resistance and wind resistance.

For me, the major advantage of these types of fabric over the hi-tech membrane stuff (which also has its merits) is the high breathability combined with high wind resistance. Its two that the polycotton can get wet, in rain, or in high sweat areas like the back (especially with a backpack on). But unlike Leo, I have found they dry out really quickly when worn while skiing. Besides, they cut out the wind even better when wet (the threads expand)!

The Keb does in fact offer a great compromise. The polycotton is on the front panel, the shoulders, and most importantly, the hood. The back panel is a thin softshell material, so its excellent for skiing with a backpack. In fact the Keb is not soft as a winter jacket, more so a fall one, but I have found its perfect for my needs here in Québec (when its below zero of course). As leo mentionned, the real awesome aspect of the Keb is its full on tunnel hood. You can have that on in a snow storm and feel like you in your living room...no more need for goggles.

By the way, I first went for the cotton outer layers when researching for my Laponia ski traverse in 2014. I went for a Klattermusen Rimfaxe jacket I got on sale. Its such an amazing piece of workmanship. Super functional for pulka pulling in windy nordic climates. On somedays when it was really warm, it could get soaked while I shoveled snow to prepare camp. When i'd get in my tent, I would shove it in a corner of the tent. The next morning, it litterally looked like an old dirty frozen rag, but I would suit up and ski, and within 10 minutes is was a pristine dry, 900$ top notch jacket. sweet.

Oh, and when I do plan on skiing in near zero temperature, I do not pull out my cotton outers, those are for colder days. Instead, I go for a very basic breathable (no membrane) windshell with hood. Personally, I have a MEC RD Windshell from a few years back. Again, not built for winter, but its precisely what I need for warm temp skiing! Its just so breathable and LIGHT!

I reserve my Gore-tex upper for the rare occasion I go resort skiing or BC downhill trips on colder days. Without a doubt, Gore-tex offers the best windproofing and very good heat retention. Its just really bad act actually breathing in cold temps.
I couldn't resist looking at your propaganda you mentioned in the other thread ;) I have also found the Driclime to be too hot! The Montane Extreme Smock was, however, perfect for -15 and lovely light snow today.

The Keb looks very intriguing Ben...

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:05 pm

@Genoah77,

Those single layer (actually multilayers in one) might work for some, and quite popular in the UK. I skied a season or two in a Rab Vapour Rise. I thought it was cool at the time but I alway got real wet in the back (especially with a pack). Also thought the hood was small and the entire jacket not that wind proof. I'd often have to open it up to cool off too.

Then I found the Keb. All is good now. Never even felt the need to wax it.

Looking at the specs of the Montane Extreme Smock, there is no way I could ski in that, its inner layer is deep pile. That sounds toasty hot.

Genoah77
Favorite boots: Alaskas

Post by Genoah77 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:26 pm

@bgregoire

Yes, ventilation seems to be an issue with pertex/pile, at least for skiing.

The extreme smock is indeed very extreme! I usually only use it at -20C or colder. It is also more suited to less dynamic activities like camp chores or even very cold weather hiking.

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:44 am

Hi guys,

Here's my clothing system.

I ski a lot in cold weather, and some of you know of my background from the military and as a ski/mountain guide too.

Ventilation and a system that is easily adjustable is key for me.

Baselayer:

I always use wool boxer shorts, the long ones
If it's really cold, I use a wool net as a base, and a thing (200g) wool over. Often I prefer a long sleeve wool net and a wool t-shirt. Wool on the body is key, as it can handle moisture, sweat, and still have some insulation value. And it doesn't smell too bad, so I can use it for multiple days in a row.

Long wool ski-socks.

Wool-neck/balaclava

Wool beanie

Midlayer:

Either a thin wool jacket, light Primaloft Vest (love those!), or a Primaloft jacket (if it's cold). The Primaloft with Gore-Windstopper Jacket will always be in my backpack either way.

Shell:

I'm a sucker for softshell. It breathes way, way better than Gore-Tex or other membranes, and as a bonus softshell is flexible and stretchy. In cold conditions, my priority is to have protection against the wind and to avoid as much sweat and moisture as possible. Being sweaty in cold conditions is just bad. So I rarely use a membrane shell jacket, unless it is really bad in conditions or wet outside.

The same goes for pants.

If it's really, really cold. I often use a cotton jacket (Ventile/Epic cotton). I stick with the softshell pants for 9/10 days. Unless skiing in a resort, heliskiing, etc. Then I might use a heavy-duty Gore-Tex bib pant.

Gloves

I like the function of gloves, so I usually use gloves no matter how cold it is. But I might bring shell mittens over the gloves if it's wet or really cold. They are lightweight, really packable, and just nice to have. I always bring 1-2 extra pair of gloves.

I often bring a pair of liner gloves as well, just to be sure. That way I have a lot of options.
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:08 am

Crister we have a lot in common when it comes to glove liners, cool, not so much when it comes to helicopters, can I have a pair of your prototype Xplore sks, you need people of all levels of basic skill to give you feedback. Also if you're going to replace Tonje because she blew a ptarmigan's face off out of season, ladies really like a musk ox. Just saying.