Wooden Ski Care and Preparation

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Smitty

XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: Low-Vert Nordic Touring
Favorite Skis: USGI Surplus
Favorite boots: Alfa Perform

Wooden Ski Care and Preparation

Postby Smitty » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 pm

Hey guys,

I know it is not particularly XCD per se, but is anyone interested in compiling a wooden ski prep, care, and offseason blocking / storage tutorial thread? I know woodenskis.com has some good information, but thought it might be interesting to have some back-and-forth technique or opinion sharing on here. I know there are a lot of you that have done substantial work with woodies, and I would love to hear from you. I find them fascinating!

I got thinking about this when I picked up a pair of Asnes Tur-Langrenn at a consignment store recently that look to be in good shape. Me, the father-in-law, and my Wife's Granda' plan to pull a couple of their old pairs of woodies out of the shed and get them all tuned up this year. But it's been 30 years since either of them have worked with woodies, so it's should prove to to be an interesting process! I will snap some pics and document their techniques to bring back to the thread as well!

If we get some good info compiled, I can edit 'er up and see if Johnny wants to add a wooden ski entry to the Wiki!

Cheers,
Smitty

Chisana

XCD Enthusiast

Re: Wooden Ski Care and Preparation

Postby Chisana » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:11 am

Hope this goes forward. A few years ago I re-fell in love with the old woodies. Sadly, my old trysl knuts bought at barneys sport chalet in anchorage in 1976 were just about ready to become wallhangers. Bought a set of ems. (Asnes I think), from greg at wooden skis. They were almost too pretty to ski, but they are my go to ski in powder. Love the smell of pinetar, (also hoppes #9), and seems to me the woodies seem to have better wax retention. I am not much of a downhiller,but these old woodies suit me fine for the backcountry trail skiing I like to do.

Woodserson

XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Dancey
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective, Altai KOMs, Atomic Vantage 85, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T4, Alaska

Postby Woodserson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:05 pm

I just waxed up three pairs of skis just now- they are resting outside under the snow, a 4th pair needs a binding replacement, and I'll write more when I come back from my weekend with Mrs Woods cruising the woods on our woodies!

paulzo

XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: multi-day touring

Postby paulzo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Then all you need is this baby to get you there:
IMG_2378.JPG

Return to “Telemark Talk Forum”