Leash for Norpine NNN-BC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
spwath

Leash for Norpine NNN-BC

Post by spwath » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:23 pm

So I was thinking about doing some Norpine skiing, mainly due to the lack of real snow coming down this season. It seems like A leash will be required for my skis, to prevent them from getting away in case they fall off. What would be the best way to attach a leash, when there is no leash hole on NNN-BC bindings?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Leash for Norpine NNN-BC

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:39 pm

They used to be sold with these little metal plates that go under the front screw and stuck out the front of the binding with a hole to add a leash. On the paper jig it even shows it and says "USA only" or something like that. Regardless, I haven't bought a pair of bindings with that thing in a few years now I think it's gone the way of the dodo. Somewhere there was a picture of Johnny, I think, with some hack. I'm sure there's a solution out there, but it may just be screwing an eye bolt into the ski in front of the binding.

spwath

Post by spwath » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:43 pm

Woodserson wrote:They used to be sold with these little metal plates that go under the front screw and stuck out the front of the binding with a hole to add a leash. On the paper jig it even shows it and says "USA only" or something like that. Regardless, I haven't bought a pair of bindings with that thing in a few years now I think it's gone the way of the dodo. Somewhere there was a picture of Johnny, I think, with some hack. I'm sure there's a solution out there, but it may just be screwing an eye bolt into the ski in front of the binding.
Yeah, I was thinking of just screwing something into the ski, I am just a bit wary about drilling into my brand new skis. But I suppose it may be the only way.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:51 pm

spwath wrote: Yeah, I was thinking of just screwing something into the ski, I am just a bit wary about drilling into my brand new skis. But I suppose it may be the only way.
There are a couple of good honest tinkerers here, give it a bit first, maybe we can get 2nd opinions. Did you get hassled on a lift or have AUTO bindings or just being smart and proactive?

Also, are you in the northeast?

spwath

Post by spwath » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:56 pm

Woodserson wrote:
spwath wrote: Yeah, I was thinking of just screwing something into the ski, I am just a bit wary about drilling into my brand new skis. But I suppose it may be the only way.
There are a couple of good honest tinkerers here, give it a bit first, maybe we can get 2nd opinions. Did you get hassled on a lift or have AUTO bindings or just being smart and proactive?

Also, are you in the northeast?
I have not even used these skis yet, I am just being proactive, dont want to loose a ski down the hill. They are manual bindings, but I have my skate skis fall off with manual bindings (usually when I am doing something I shouldent be doing on race skate skis, like going over a jump down a hill)

I am in the Northeast, upstate NY, though at the end of the month I go back to college in CT, with even less snow.

spwath

Post by spwath » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:13 pm

One more thing, what would I use for the leash itself, and how would it attach to me?

spwath

Post by spwath » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Found everything I needed, got a metal eye thing at home depot, got ski leashes to attach, is there anything else I should know before I take a drill to my brand new skis?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:03 pm

spwath wrote:Found everything I needed, got a metal eye thing at home depot, got ski leashes to attach, is there anything else I should know before I take a drill to my brand new skis?
Use a bit, mark the bit with electrical tape so you don't go too deep and punch through the bottom. Don't hit the trigger of the drill so hard it spins fast and rips away from you and then you drill through your base, depress slowly. (I'm sorry I don't know how much experience you have with tools, this may be all basic to you).

Pics, of course.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:47 am

And don't forget to add some glue to the hole to seal the ski core!

spwath

Post by spwath » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Verskis wrote:And don't forget to add some glue to the hole to seal the ski core!
Ah, I did not think of that.

Any particular type of glue I am supposed to use?