Voile Hardwire Rod Length

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Voile Hardwire Rod Length

Post by Smitty » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:35 am

The pictures and stories on this forum are infectious - it's high time I learn the telemark arc. I took Low Angle Al's advice from my prior "picking a new touring ski" thread and bought an old, cheap pair of alpine skis outfitted with Voile Hardwires. The skis are in terrible shape - core shot and rusty edges. But the bindings seem solid. My intention is to learn and practice at my local lift-serve hill and eventually translate that into finding some more turn-oriented back country skiing in my neighbourhood. Now that I live so far from the mountains, this will also make my local ski hill a lot more interesting when my wife wants to go than a 30 second run on my snowboard of yore. The rough shape the skis are in should give me a chance to hone my ski tech skills as well!

My first question is around the bindings. Previous owner had older 26 mondo excursions (also came with the package) and so the Hardwires are set up with the short length rods. Alas the Excursions are too small for me, so I found some 27 mondo T4s that fit great. But the official cutoff for the short rods as per Voile is 26.5 mondo. Officially I should be using regular length rods. Am I risking some sort of issue if I use the short rods with my 27 mondo T4s?

To muddy the waters further, Scarpa boots break on the half size. Meaning my T4 shell has the same dimensions as a 26.5 mondo, just with a different liner. In which case my boots should still in the wheel house for the short rods!

Let me know if any of you have been down this road before. I can't hit the hill until next weekend, so if I need to get some regular rods on order I will happily do so!

Cheers,
Smitty

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Voile Hardwire Rod Length

Post by Woodserson » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:29 am

If any threads are sticking out of the cartridge it's a no go. If you don't see any threads, you should be OK. New rods are easy to get if need be.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:27 am

Exactly what Woods said. The only thing I would add is to click on the Voile link at the top of the page. Once on the Voile page, click on bindings and go to your binding. The installation instructions are pretty informative, in addition to that info about the threads being out of the cartridge I believe there are some maintenance and use pointers. There is also a parts catalogue with pricing.

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Golden, thanks gents!

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk