Fischer E-109 vs Traverse 78

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Fischer E-109 vs Traverse 78

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:42 am

I have an opportunity to buy a 2013 Fischer E-109, that was before the Easy skin introduction, but I was also looking for Traverse 78. I would like to know from you experts what is the difference between those 2 skis because by only looking at their sidecuts their almost the same.

I already have old Europa 99 but I am looking for an alternative easier to turn and that still offer good glide. I also own Alpina Discovery 102 with which I have a love and hate relationship... I love them for telemark (although they gain speed almost too easily :o ) but I am them on the touring part of my almost daily excursion as they are short (178).

Thank you!

I will understand if I don't get a quick answer as you are probably all out there skiing in the new snow :D

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Fischer E-109 vs Traverse 78

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:20 pm

Just came in from quite a ski in a massive storm- the wind has REALLY picked up out there!!!!!!!

A number of questions:
1) E109 "Xtralite"?
2) What length are you looking at in both skis?
3) E109 waxless- and, if so- "Offtrack Crown" insert?
4) Is the tip of the E109 rockered?

I have both the E109 Tour Xtralite and the E109 Crown Xtralite (2015 I think- I bought them both on clearance). The waxable "Tour" model was the first year they had the "Easy-Skin" insert, and Fischer Canada still had a few Tour Xtralites without the Easy-Skin insert left on clearance as well. Both the waxable "Tour" and waxless "Crown" E109s that I have, have very soft tips and considerable Nordic rocker.

As as a comparison- I also have the E99 Tour Xtralite- with the Easy-Skin insert. It too has a very soft, Nordic-rockered tip (it is the same model year as the two E109s I have- 2015 I think- also bought it on clearance). However- the E99 Crown "Xtralite" that I have is an older model and it has zero Nordic-rocker. Although the tip is still relatively soft (relative to the rest of the ski flex) the tip is much more supportive and stable on the non-rockered E99 Xtralite.

I don't know if there was a version of the E109 Xtralite that was not rockered...

The previous generation E99 and E109 (i.e. not "Xtralite") were very different and it has been so long since I skied on either that I cannot describe them.

The "Traverse" 78 evolved from the S-Bound 78. As my ski buddy as the S-Bound 78- I have tried it many, many times- supportive flex, stable tip- I always wanted a pair of them in a 205-210cm length...
The redesigned Traverse 78 now has a Nordic-rockered tip- I have never tried them- I don't know how this has affected the stability and XC glide surface of this ski...

There are a number of skiers on this site that have the Traverse 78- and also have experience with the previous generations of this ski.

What I can tell you is that the tip-rockered E109 Xtralite makes wonderful, evenly pressured turns- superb tip rise and turn initiation. The E109 Xtralite has the most XC camber and stiffness underfoot of any of the other skis on its class (e.g. Madshus Eon/Fischer 78/Asnes Combat Nato/Asnes Ingstad BC; etc.)- though still soft enough to effectively grip on soft snow. What I can also tell you is that the tip-rockered E109 Xtralite has a VERY soft tip making this ski very unstable and frustrating when XC skiing in deep soft snow.

Hope I am helping you!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:51 am

Have an oldie 109 and to short...They track well and are totally solid...Best of all.....TURNS.....Slight pressure and your in wonderful world....At some point will hopefully get my late arriving new e109 waxable...Really NEED them as all my equipment is in falling apart mode...TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:26 pm

The older Fischers are great, I would grab the E109's if you have the chance. The E-series is designed to be more "nordic" and better at gliding & long distance. The current Sbound's have a very aggressive plastic scale pattern that does not glide well IMO.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Grab the E109 if you can, If you want an even better ski consider the Asnes Ingstad or Nansen. Sounds like you don't want to go too large and stay within the traditional nordic BC with good camber category?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

NMskier
Ski style: Nordic XCd
Favorite Skis: Fischer E109 xtralite
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaskas

Post by NMskier » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:44 pm

This one is easy. I have both these skis and I vastly prefer the Fischer E109. Mine is the crown xtralite, pre easy-skin version. Maybe it is the significant camber that makes the difference, but it turns incredibly easily, feels sure footed, and glides beautifully.
Skiing Fischer e109 and Åsnes Ingstad BC

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:55 pm

Oh well, I just called the store and the skis are sold :roll:

Thank you anyway for all the kind reply...

Although it is maybe for the best as I have got a serious Asnes fever from all the reading I have done on this forum... I will save some money and run to La Cordée when they get their new Asnes in this fall!

Still, I don't want to wait that long as I will go on a 4 days hut to hut excursion in the Monts-Valins in the Saguenay region. I sure don't want to take my Alpina 102 for that type of excursion as they are too slow... I might regret it if we find some open slopes but I am not ready to pay the price of a bad K&G ski. I could also take my Europa-99 but I find them a bit unstable downhill in narrow trail with a backpack so I am looking for a wider ski. So I have read the numerous posts on the Asnes USGI and I am just about to order a couple of pairs. I must admit that lilcliffy have sold me those after reading his review from a few years back. If anyone around Montréal or Ottawa are interested in buying those skis we could split the shipping cost. Let me know... although I will wait for the stamp of approval of lilcliffy before committing :lol:

Going out for a late night ride!

Thank's again!

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:16 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote: Still, I don't want to wait that long as I will go on a 4 days hut to hut excursion in the Monts-Valins in the Saguenay region. I sure don't want to take my Alpina 102 for that type of excursion as they are too slow...
Martin, have you been to the Monts-Valins yet? I live in Québec also and have not had the opportunity to ski there yet but have been told its mostly a snowshoe place. Lots of steeper climbs and descents, and given that the trails are carved by snowshoes, they become super narrow corridors much alike luge ice tracks (ok, I am exagerating). Hard to control skis, particularly long skis, on the descent. What I am trying to say here is depending on your route, those Alpinas might actually not be that bad a choice (and that is from a guy who loves using skinnies for long tours)!

By the way, there are more and more tourers going from hut to hut on full AT gear in the Parc de la Gaspésie. I think its absolutely crazy slow and heavy, but somehow, many of them are happy doing it. So, there's a way to be happy on any ski!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Bonsoir bgregoire... on devrait peut-être s'écrire en français :D

Je n'ai jamais été aux Monts-Valins et je ne savais pas que les pistes étaient partagées avec les "raquetteux"

J'ai été dans les Chics-Chocs en 2016 et j'avais mes Europa 99 où j'ai réussi une montée héroÏque sans peau, du moins c'est ce que mes amis m'ont dit 8-) , du somment précédent le Mont Richardson. La descente avait toutefois été très périlleuse avec ces longs skis même dans une neige fraîche. Je me disais qu'avec des skis plus larges cela m'aiderait dans les descentes. Pour les descentes les Alpina seraient mieux mais je crains de moins apprécier le côté très lent de ces skis... mais ils sont très efficaces en montée... Je dois avouer que je songe à trouver une façon d'apporter 2 paires de skis dans ce type de randonnées ;) Aussi, je dois arrêter de lire ce Forum car je ne savais pas avant quelques semaines que j'avais "besoin" d'autant de skis :roll:

Encore merci de ta contribution à ma réflexion.

Par curiosité tu demeures dans quelle région?

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:58 pm

It sounds like the Sbound 78 (traverse) would be a good choice for you too - if you already have E99's the 78's are perfect for runs that involve more climbing & telemark turns. They should climb much better than E99 or E109. The 78's seem to be available for cheap on the internet in spring sales almost every year. I think I paid $125 for my Sbound 78's.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)