Lurkskiing

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Lurkskiing

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:23 pm

It looks like fun, but how did they get to the top?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:28 pm

lowangle al wrote: I'm not a ski historian but the video I had seen of Native skiers in the Altai Mts. using traditional gear were doing parallel turns with their lurks. Maybe someone knows the answer to this but I wonder when the use of the lurk fell out of favor. Was it about the same time Sondre Nordheim popularized the T turn or did it have more to do with the idea of using two poles.
From TOTAL TELEMARKING (the book), p.60:

"Colonel Georges Bilgeri, who, with MAthius Zdarsky, taught the Austrian Kaiserjaefer Mtn. Troops to ski during WWI, introduced the use of two ski poles in 1915."

The original source of this info is: Charles, M. Dudley, 60 Centuries of Skiing.

Reading TT, I was also surprised to learn that the Norwegian ski world was revolutionized in 1733 by the use of skis of equal length! The previous OSterdal System relied on a shorter kicker ski and a longer glide ski.

Lots of talk about 9ft ski in there too...
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:

No idea what they’re saying but the old school look is awesome...has me thinking I should consider bgregoires cool knickers [emoji16]
Nice vid! I have to admit I was a little dissapointed when I realized they were actually skiing on modern skis and plastic shell boots though.

Natural fabric knickers are AWESOME! I have been using my heavy cotton knickers and they are so great to ski in. Wish the wool ones would fit....hey If you want those knickers, consider the gaiters up for sale too, they are an awesome combo, just not my size once again :(
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:08 pm

Yea Ben... Kind of weird. The guy waxes about wearing natural fibers pants and upper, but he skis with big plastic boots... Whatever...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:22 pm

Cobbled this up and gave it a try...
ImageImage
...found myself alternating sides (used an adjustable MSR as well) due to the weight differences.

Didn’t feel as awkward as I’d initially expected.in my return I descended a packed and glazed snowmobile track that had had minimal powder for control, was grateful for the ‘whoa’ power the lurk gave on that kind of surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

jtb

Post by jtb » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:14 pm

Yes.

I made mine so it can quickly detach into 2 adjustable poles. More info here: https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... urk-skiing

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:46 pm

The Altai call them Tiaks. This is how it’s done!
And yes you will have better control with one on Hoks.

Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!