Lurkskiing

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al

XCD KNIGHT

Re: Lurkskiing

Postby lowangle al » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:23 pm

It looks like fun, but how did they get to the top?

bgregoire

XCD Guide
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99, Åsnes Ingstad & Cecilie, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour, Arkos Greenland & Alfa Polar

Postby bgregoire » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:28 pm

lowangle al wrote:I'm not a ski historian but the video I had seen of Native skiers in the Altai Mts. using traditional gear were doing parallel turns with their lurks. Maybe someone knows the answer to this but I wonder when the use of the lurk fell out of favor. Was it about the same time Sondre Nordheim popularized the T turn or did it have more to do with the idea of using two poles.

From TOTAL TELEMARKING (the book), p.60:

"Colonel Georges Bilgeri, who, with MAthius Zdarsky, taught the Austrian Kaiserjaefer Mtn. Troops to ski during WWI, introduced the use of two ski poles in 1915."

The original source of this info is: Charles, M. Dudley, 60 Centuries of Skiing.

Reading TT, I was also surprised to learn that the Norwegian ski world was revolutionized in 1733 by the use of skis of equal length! The previous OSterdal System relied on a shorter kicker ski and a longer glide ski.

Lots of talk about 9ft ski in there too...
"The telem-ark is just a turn, use it wisely." -Gamle Norrman fra Telemark

bgregoire

XCD Guide
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99, Åsnes Ingstad & Cecilie, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour, Arkos Greenland & Alfa Polar

Postby bgregoire » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:33 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:https://youtu.be/vz1Gk0ORbfM

No idea what they’re saying but the old school look is awesome...has me thinking I should consider bgregoires cool knickers

Nice vid! I have to admit I was a little dissapointed when I realized they were actually skiing on modern skis and plastic shell boots though.

Natural fabric knickers are AWESOME! I have been using my heavy cotton knickers and they are so great to ski in. Wish the wool ones would fit....hey If you want those knickers, consider the gaiters up for sale too, they are an awesome combo, just not my size once again :(
"The telem-ark is just a turn, use it wisely." -Gamle Norrman fra Telemark

Rodbelan

XCD Pinhead

Postby Rodbelan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:08 pm

Yea Ben... Kind of weird. The guy waxes about wearing natural fibers pants and upper, but he skis with big plastic boots... Whatever...

Return to “Telemark Talk Forum”