wax vs scales vs XSkin vs klister

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Cannatonic

Re: wax vs scales vs XSkin vs klister

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:51 pm

I noticed the same thing skiing around on a watery mess last week - the mohair skins don't grip so well. that's probably why Asnes advises the nylon ones for wet, heavy snow...I didn't have any with me
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:01 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Yeah- agree- this is terrible. I take them off for any serious downhills on variable snow- or even warm spring snow in general. Scales are better in general in this context, despite the fact that they can be super slippery on hard, icy refrozen snow- resolved with scales + skin.
This would make me lean towards a scaled ski if I got the Ingstad. I don't like transitioning on the short laps I'd be doing on them. I was thinking of getting the smooth version so I could wax them when the snow is cold and use skins when it's warm. Does anyone out there have the scaled Ingstads?

Verskis, scaled skis have saved spring skiing for me for many years. Prior to getting Vector BCs there was always the trade off of giving up downhill performance just to be able to get out there. There are a lot more good choices in scaled skis now, the S98 being one of them. I think if you want to get out in spring conditions you need a scaled ski in the quiver, they shine in these conditions.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:51 pm

lowangle al wrote: This would make me lean towards a scaled ski if I got the Ingstad. I don't like transitioning on the short laps I'd be doing on them. I was thinking of getting the smooth version so I could wax them when the snow is cold and use skins when it's warm. Does anyone out there have the scaled Ingstads?
Pretty sure there are at least three skiers on this site with the waxless Ingstad BC- Woods and Johnny included.

The Ingstad BC is a lot of fun downhill skiing on consolidated snow but has a very short glide zone when XC skiing on consolidated snow.
I think if you want to get out in spring conditions you need a scaled ski in the quiver, they shine in these conditions.
YES! It is certainly a NEED not a want!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:53 pm

Damn, I didn't really want to buy any more new skis! The Rabbs were supposed to be the ultimate ski for me :lol:
Now I'll have to see if I can find a good deal on some fishscale skis...

Lilcliffy, the Intelligrip skins are 38mm wide.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:30 pm

>>This would make me lean towards a scaled ski if I got the Ingstad. I don't like transitioning on the short laps I'd be doing on them.

I was thinking the same thing - I occupy that niche also - spring skiing, short laps on local hills, you gotta use fischscales in that setting, I'd love to get fishcale Ingstad too - I already have a nice vintage of Sbound 78, nearly same dimensions, I couldn't justify getting waxless Nansen or Ingstad - so instead I just ordered a nice pair of MT51 waxless in 205cm for this year's ski purchase.

These skis are among the cheapest Asnes ones, and I love the skis. I bet I can even bend the 205's into some tele turns, with the Super Tele bindings and leather 3-pin touring boots I run on them.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:03 pm

" I am actually considering a klister-specific ski in my quiver..."

This is pretty much what I do. Narrows it down to a quiver of one beater ski, but it's OK for my backwoods tours and turns. Use skins and a better ski if it's a more substantial outing.I don't much mind cleaning klister on a bench (I have a couple helpful tricks, mentioned in past history posts), but it's true it's a struggle to do in the field. Applying it to, for that matter, can be frustrating.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:57 am

lilcliffy wrote: Pretty sure there are at least three skiers on this site with the waxless Ingstad BC- Woods and Johnny included.
There are only 4 pairs of the new Asnes WL skis in America. But this is about to change... The WL line should invade the US market next season... Stay tuned... 8-)

I have about 50 days on the new Ingstad WL this season... I am so in love with them, much more than their smooth counterparts. With sometimes a touch of grip wax in the front, they perform like Norwegian Gods for touring under in any condition.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:08 pm

Johnny wrote:
lilcliffy wrote: Pretty sure there are at least three skiers on this site with the waxless Ingstad BC- Woods and Johnny included.
There are only 4 pairs of the new Asnes WL skis in America. But this is about to change... The WL line should invade the US market next season... Stay tuned... 8-)

I have about 50 days on the new Ingstad WL this season... I am so in love with them, much more than their smooth counterparts. With sometimes a touch of grip wax in the front, they perform like Norwegian Gods under in any condition.
That's good to know, I think I've changed my mind from getting the smooth ones to the WL, if I can swing it.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:47 pm

I have about 50 days on the new Ingstad WL this season... I am so in love with them, much more than their smooth counterparts. With sometimes a touch of grip wax in the front, they perform like Norwegian Gods for touring under in any condition.[/quote]

If I got you right you had the opportunity to compare both type of Ingstad? If you like them so much I guess you did not feel any drag or so little from the scales? I will switch from 195 to 205 Ingstad this fall so you made me consider getting the WL version, but I don't want the drag and the noise that usually come with the scales ;)

Thank you.

Martin

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:06 pm

Cannatonic wrote:I noticed the same thing skiing around on a watery mess last week - the mohair skins don't grip so well. that's probably why Asnes advises the nylon ones for wet, heavy snow...I didn't have any with me
I have the nylon one and they worked just fine for me on "sun soften snow" (sorry I don't know how to describe it better in english...) on a south east oriented slope after on afternoon at 6 C. I kept them on for the downhill and it might have slowed me down but this is a good thing for me as I am learning Telemark on the Ingstad and I am not too found of speed :o

I also like the skin when skiing on "crust" as they stabilize them. I can say that the skins on the Ingstad will allow me to appreciate spring skiing way better than I used to when I had to use klister or red wax.

Martin