wax vs scales vs XSkin vs klister

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: wax vs scales vs XSkin vs klister

Post by Woodserson » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Cannatonic wrote:interesting test! I like the shot of one ski on each foot - some hardcore testing! :lol: yes, leave the klister in the depths of history where it belongs. Your experiment was brave but sort of like infecting yourself with a disease. :D

In my experience the Asnes skin system is ideal for taking on a trip like this. The only time scales are preferable IMO is when you're yo-yo'ing slopes for turns or on a tour with steep downhills mixed in. I don't think the skins will stay on long while making downhill turns.

you like the full-length 45mm, wait till you try it shortened to the heel plate, the glide is way better. It pays to have a few of these skins. I've used the 35mm nylon ones shortened to the heel w/ Gamme and it worked great. I left my 45mm nylon full-length in case I need to climb something steep w/ the Gamme. Mohair skins would be better for cold snow.

PS, you can also use Swix F4 to wax skins. I tried the skin protector made by Colltex but it has a nasty chemical smell to it, I think I'll try the Nikwax product next time.
This is all great advice, thanks. I do not have nylon XSkins inbound... hmmm, maybe I should order some up from Neptune. I love the E99's, crown and all. I know you said they were a bit slow and I get that with the rocker on firm surface, but they have been a pleasure to me on soft wet snow noodling around the woods here in NH. Fast and light. But if I'm going somewhere for several days, GAMME 54 baby!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 pm

So LC and Canna--

You are going to take a Gamme 54 on a pleasure cruise and for simplicity sake, two skins-- Mohair and Nylon? Two Mohairs? What widths? Just two skins...

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:58 pm

Two mohair kicker skins for the Gammes- 45 & 35mm.

The XC kick and glide performance of the mohairs- vs nylon- is sooo much greater.

I know it will end up being more expensive- but, I hope to have enough cashflow to be happy to buy replacement mohair- rather than suffer XC skiing with nylon drag! I just ordered an extra 45m X-Skin...wish I had also ordered the 35mm...
(BTW- sorry I even mentioned the Fischer 78- forgot that you wanted to be able to ski in groomed track when necessary!)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm

I haven't experimented that much, the nylon grips better and the mohair glides better, nylon is supposedly better for "wet and heavy" snow. The 60mm nylon skins on the NATO function almost as well as full climbing skins. They're all going to work a little different based on the camber of the ski, conditions, etc.

you have 45mm mohair - the next ones I'd get would be 30mm mohair for kick & glide on cold snow and a 45mm nylon for steeper climbs. The only reason for a 30mm nylon would be for something that lasts longer than mohair. I did notice that skiiing over a couple tree roots in the 30mm mohairs damaged the skin slightly. Guess I should use the 35mm nylon as "rock skins"
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Cannatonic wrote:you have 45mm mohair - the next ones I'd get would be 30mm mohair for kick & glide on cold snow and a 45mm nylon for steeper climbs.
If a person was going to use kick wax why would they need the 30mm mohair?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Al, the idea is once it gets too warm for blue wax, you can use the kicker. I don't know if you started at the beginning, but Woods started out with a scale ski on one foot, and a 45 mm mohair on the other ski. As for me I hope I can offer an opinion sometime. Right now I am hoping I will have enough snow for rock skis. The cool thing is I like my rock skis. The bummer is that I have had new skis mounted since November, yet never deep enough for anything but rock skis.
Are you in AK now?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:25 am

fisheater wrote:Al, the idea is once it gets too warm for blue wax, you can use the kicker. I don't know if you started at the beginning, but Woods started out with a scale ski on one foot, and a 45 mm mohair on the other ski. As for me I hope I can offer an opinion sometime. Right now I am hoping I will have enough snow for rock skis. The cool thing is I like my rock skis. The bummer is that I have had new skis mounted since November, yet never deep enough for anything but rock skis.
Are you in AK now?
Yeah Bob, I just figured in cold dry snow wax would be the best option.
I'm up in Ak. now and conditions have been a lot of melt and refreeze, but at least we have a base and there are options. I think you need to start planning winter vacations.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:59 pm

lowangle al wrote: If a person was going to use kick wax why would they need the 30mm mohair?
for times when wax doesn't work well - frozen granular or icy conditions especially. Above freezing conditions. You give up on trying to wax and just plug in the skins.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Petetheswede
Ski style: Touring with turns
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Ingstad
Favorite boots: Lundhags Guide BC

Post by Petetheswede » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:48 pm

I had the 45mm mohairs last season full length for everything on Gamme. I see a substantial wear on the rear bit that seems to go beyond the camber. I just got replacement mohairs to use full length and now im going to cut down the worn part for flatter sections. I think economically there is logic to this kind of rotation of 45mms. Also, would not a 45mm skin (vs a 30mm) be able to capitalize better on the camber provided that you want a given amount of hairy area?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Well phooey I did something to my rotator cuff and need an MRI to see exactly how bad it is so this crazy plan is now on hold. Didn't this like, happen last year too?

Def no more downhill skiing for the time being-- TERRIBLE