Mounting inserts for both tele and AT bindings on the same ski?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
rossn

Mounting inserts for both tele and AT bindings on the same ski?

Post by rossn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:10 pm

I've been away from regular skiing for the last 4 years, and have some pretty ancient tele gear, though for the last 20 years I've only tele'd. Now that my daughter is in ski school, I'm trying to catch up on all the gear developments of the last decade and a half.

I have a pair of unmounted 2009 Gotama's that I'm planning on mounting up with some new bindings, and I'm leaning towards a pair of Axl's. I'm also thinking that I may invest in an AT / Tech binding/boot setup next year for some variety, and given I'm getting older and I'll be getting out less consistently. Most of the time will be area skiing in CO, though like to keep backcountry options open.

Is anyone using inserts so that you have the flexibility of swapping skis between Tele and AT bindings? Similarly, I have some thoughts of wanting to go from 75mm to NTN or Tele Tech (need to learn more), partially due to some knee issues, but for this season or maybe 2 seasons, would like to avoid the cost of new boots.

I'm not sure if swapping bindings is a practical option, but before I go mounting the skis, want to check into that.

Thanks!

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Mounting inserts for both tele and AT bindings on the same ski?

Post by bgregoire » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:33 pm

If you've got the time or money to install the inserts...i'd say go for it. I wish I had them on some of my skis! Friends that have them enjoy the flexibility it offers.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Haven't tried it myself, but from a tech viewpoint I see no reason why you couldn't have inserts for both on the same ski.

But: you'd want to confirm there's adequate clearance between the holes for the 2 mounts ( minimum 1cm from another hole). And, the rule of thumb is a maximum of 3 mounts per ski... though in reality you MAY get away with more, depending... there are variables.

paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Post by paulzo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:49 pm

I was just pondering this same question, so if you do find out, please post!

rossn

Post by rossn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Thanks, all!

Phoenix -- I assume you mean by 3 mounts, you mean mounting three separate bindings.

I just read the article at https://www.telemarkskier.com/installin ... -bindings/

I think I'll go for it, with the hopes that another binding such as AT will have a somewhat different mounting pattern, so the ski can be used with different bindings.

Now I just need to figure out how to find the proper mounting location :) And, of course, locate some bindings.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:20 pm

Could be 3 different bindings, or the same binding mounted in 3 different positions... again, it's a rule of thumb, actually from the world of alpine mounting. I believe it's meant to reduce the possibility of ski failure or binding pull-out due to too many holes. Just pointing it out; much would depend on ski construction, hole placement, and integrity of the mounts... and subsequent plugging of the old holes.

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 pm

Ive gone the insert route on two sets of skis, (nnn/nnnbc,nn) love it. I have been contemplating AT/Teletech
for my next potential skis myself, but, like you, cant afford boots yet, plus I like keeping my options open. Quick swap out with the impact driver, some thread lock, instant attitude adjuster.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:46 pm

Bear in mind that this is not something I have personal experience with, and it's not in my area of experience. But from what I have read, a binding rig that would check all of your long-term boxes is the Meidjo from The M Equipment. They are a tech-toe telemark binding, and they make an optional AT heel piece for it. They are pretty pricey, but it gives you the ability to ski fixed heel AT or telemark without switching bindings at all. I believe the Crispi NTN boots have tech heel inserts, so you would only have to buy one pair of boots as well.

As far as I know you'd be limited to just the one boot brand, it'd be expensive to get set up, and it might be difficult to find much on the used market. But it's a route that would save from having to buy two bindings and two sets of boots to get that flexibility. So it might be more cost effective in the end.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:41 am

Never thought of doing this, very interesting idea.

The local sports consignment has a pair of those Gotamas with 7tm bindings I’m hoping to demo this week (snow at last). Kinda concerned that they’ll be a bit short for me (they’re 176cm) but just gotta try them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

TomH

Post by TomH » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:56 am

I have inserts for both tele and alpine bindings on a few skis. You just need to get the mount patterns for each binding and figure out if you have the hole clearance. It may require shifting one of the mounts forward or back if you have interference.

Traditionally, people always said 1 cm spacing for clearance, but with the SS inserts epoxied in the ski there's lots of evidence that you can close that gap a little. I've got several years on some pairs that have inserts ~0.5 cm between, and there's a huge thread on TGR about inserts in general with lots of the same.

Just make sure you tap straight and use a good slow cure expoxy like G-flex.