- XCD Enthusiast
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:21 am
- Location: Washington State, USA
- Ski style: XCD, Telemark, Backcountry
- Favorite Skis: K2 Work Stinx w/ Bishop Bombers, Madshus Annum w/ Voile 3 Pin
- Favorite boots: BD Custom, Alico Ski March
- Occupation: Engineer
Inserts work awesome. Getting the mount patterns to work without interference can be tricky. I usually use a CAD program to make sure the holes won't overlap and I will still get a good mount position for the bindings. Plenty of free 2D CAD programs you could try out. Google Sketchup is very easy to use.
If CAD seem too daunting I know people who will use transparency paper (think the clear sheets that they used to use on overhead projectors). You can usually go to Kinkos or similar printing place and have them print out the PDF 1:1 on 2 sheets. Then just place both of the transparent sheets over each other on the ski and find a good placement. Center punch each one and you are ready to drill.