Can we have a better XCD boot midsole?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Lo-Fi

Re: Can we have a better XCD boot midsole?

Post by Lo-Fi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:44 pm

I have always found there is something not quite right about the NNN-BC sole flex for telemark turning. Where and how it flexes just doesn’t give me that rear-ball-of the-foot mashing quality that I can get in a 75mm telemark boot. I always put it to the lack of the duckbill leverage, but I think it’s more than that.

paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Post by paulzo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:38 am

Bcgregoire - i sold a boatload of those Asolo Superscouts, and i had a pair of the Voyageur pictured down below. A blast from the past for sure!

I think we don't want a T4/Excursion in NNN-BC, we want a scarpa F1 race that is NNN-BC. Lighter, better range of ankle motion. Something that sits right in the middle of that no-mans land that now exists between plastics and leather/composite. That's what I want, anyway.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:13 am

Keep it up guys! Neat ideas are coming forth!

I had actually also included the standard 75mm leather tele boot midsole in my thinking here. The sole flex on those can be oh so good but it results from a combination of various poorly insulative heavy materials like thick rubber and rigid nylon midosles or glued-in salpa-like footsoles.

To boot, most, if not all the modern vulcanized 75mm boots I have seen laminate have the same flaw paulzo mentionned: the stiffener does not form part of the duckbill.

So yeah, can we make these boots stiffer, warmer and lighter too?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM