the beefiest?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

the beefiest?

Post by paulzo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Several existing threads bring this question back to the front of my mind: Which NNN-BC boot is the beefiest, not just right out of the box, but after break-in? And by beefiest I mean a combination of twisting sole stiffness and beef in the upper, or in other words, which boot can actually apply the most torque to the ski to get it on edge?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: the beefiest?

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:10 am

Hi Paulzo-
I always meant to reply to you on this one!

My experience suggests the following (some of these boots have been updated so these notes may not be current):

Stiffest most supportive sole- from stiffest:
1) Alpina Alaska BC
2) Fischer BCX6 (2012: grey boot)
3) Alfa Guard Advance
4) Crispi Svartisen BC
5) Rossignol BCX6

The Rossi BCX10 reportedly has a stiffer more supportive sole than the BCX6.

Most ankle support- from most supportive:
1) Crispi Svartisen BC
2) Fischer BCX6 (2012)
3) Alfa Guard Advance
4) Alpina Alaska BC
5) Rossignol BCX6

The upper support of the Alaska and the Guard Advance are very, very close.
The Svartisen has MUCH more support than the Fischer BCX6. The Svartisen has a full partial outer shell as well as the power strap. The Fischer BCX6 has a cuff similar to a track skating boot.

The Svartisen and the Fischer BCX6 offer greater ankle support for making step, striding and jump turns- especially the Svartisen. (The Svartisen has serious pressure point problems when you tighten those straps up though!) The subsequent Fischer BCX6 (brown) actually has less ankle support than the model I own, due to a poor "lacing system above the ankle. Don't know what the current Fischer BCX6 is like.

The Alaska BC has- by far- the most stable and supportive sole flex for making actual linked turns.

I can physically slightly twist the soles, with my hands, of both of my- almost new- Guard Advance and Svartisen BC. I cannot do that with my Alaska BC- that has more than 5 seasons of hard-duty skiing.

In my opinion both the Svartisen BC and the Guard would greatly benefit from a stiffer more supportive sole.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:28 pm

The Crispi Stetind would be another interesting contender in this beefy NNN-BC contest. Unfortunately, I do not know any owners of this fantastic boot.

I've owned and battered a pair of Fischer BCX6 (brown, 2014 or so) boots. The lacing sucked as LC mentionned. I have seen the lacing has since been improved. There is a lot of plastic in that boot, and the construction is not that durable. why choose it over the real leather Alpina Alaska?!

Sometimes DIY is the way to go. Have you considered a fruit-boot?:
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... watermelon
They are certainly beefier. Not that anyone is ACTUALLY usgin them though...
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

paulzo

Post by paulzo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:46 pm

funny you should mention that, because if were to go NNN-BC, that double boot idea is probably what I'd do. My thing is week-long tours, and I never got more than two days worth of dry boots back when I had leather. I am totally spoiled by plastic boots with thermofit liners for snow camping. a week of spring corn and you are just as dry on the last day as the first. One of the things keeping me fro trying an NNN-BC setup has always been the idea of returning to the days of frozen boots in the morning. TO that end, how would you guys compare volume between Alpina and Crispi and Rossi? I'm thinking that a higher volume last might lend itself better to the DIY double idea.

paulzo

Post by paulzo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:57 pm

Whoops, I meant to say Fischer not Rossi

paulzo

Post by paulzo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:00 am

And, has anyone had their hands on a pair of Lundhags Guide BC?