Franken binding idea

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
turnfarmer

Franken binding idea

Post by turnfarmer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:41 am

Posted this on EYT, maybe more applicable here.

Frankenbinding idea/help wanted to make it

I have a pair of fat fish scales I use for meadow skipping. They are currently mounted with Voile Switchbacks that I ski with Garmont Guidas(T3ish) boot. For this purpose the bindings are clunky and I get rocker launch when use my preferred heel height(lowish.) I am happy with the feel and control of these boots in a 3 pin binding. Pure parallel trans, never drop a knee.

But would like a free pivot. So not looking for even TTS levels of performance. The hills are small so transition between locked and freeheel needs to be easy like the switchback.

Here's what I've come up with so far, sorry don't know how to post pics so links are all I can do-

I'm going to use a cut down TLT5 like this guy did-

see self inflicted fore foot flex here- http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.ph...hilit=anrothar

A standard tech toe piece won't work as I'd like to use a sliding wedge to mimic the way an nnn-bc binding reduces heel travel.

These would work- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjqtPzhqrxQ

Maruelli makes something similar as does Gignoux.

But they are way too expensive for this project. Also concerned about breakage- binding or me!

I've thought about bending a piece of steel or thermoplastic carbon I have access to. This materials would have a little flexibility in the right gauges and less like to fail compared to rigid aluminum or thermoset carbon.

The issue is what to do with for the pins?
Ideas for making it happen are needed.

Pretty sure I can manage the wedge and it need to slide back and forth.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Franken binding idea

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:04 am

I'm no franken-dude and forgive me for thinking outside of yer box...but perhaps my ideas might still be useful to you...

1)Garmont Guidas....Laced plastic shells...right? They look like they go pretty high up....I can imagine the clunkiness...and lack of squeeze of the laces...Perhaps going for the more modern Garmont/Scott Excursion will lower the weight, provide just as much or more control (crossing my fingers here but quite confidently due to the lacing issue) and more freedom (less clunky) in walk mode....particularly on 3-pin bindings....

2)If you are purely meadow skipping, why never drop a knee? Health issue? Dropping a knee is a LOT of fun, I highly recommend it...plus it provides greater control on a lighter/less downhill oriented setup.

If points 1 & 2 seemed somewhat logical or interesting, please hear me out on:

3)Again, considering you are meadow skipping, How bout revisiting the basic 3pin binding or voile 3pin cable (unclipping the cable for touring and climbing) using a lighter plastic (excursion/t4) or even leathers once you get the hang of the dropknee...

Sorry if my response is just too far off from what you are looking for...

Enjoy the snow!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks for responding. Those are all good thoughts, but my big toes have a little arthritis that inspired this project.

I'm no franken-dude and forgive me for thinking outside of yer box...but perhaps my ideas might still be useful to you...

1)Garmont Guidas....Laced plastic shells...right? They look like they go pretty high up....I can imagine the clunkiness...and lack of squeeze of the laces...Perhaps going for the more modern Garmont/Scott Excursion will lower the weight, provide just as much or more control (crossing my fingers here but quite confidently due to the lacing issue) and more freedom (less clunky) in walk mode....particularly on 3-pin bindings....

I've been skiing in these boots since they came out. They work well for my feet and needs- sub 5lbs with intuition liners, ground the back down allow more freedom of movement

2)If you are purely meadow skipping, why never drop a knee? Health issue? Dropping a knee is a LOT of fun, I highly recommend it...plus it provides greater control on a lighter/less downhill oriented setup.

Big toe arthritis, don't want to abuse it too much, this also drives want for free pivot. Although the cut down tlt5s show promise, as the forefoot flex feels like a leather boot and in the tele position lets me roll the forefoot to the little toe side. This is something I think all plastic tele boots lack compared to leather.

If points 1 & 2 seemed somewhat logical or interesting, please hear me out on:

3)Again, considering you are meadow skipping, How bout revisiting the basic 3pin binding or voile 3pin cable (unclipping the cable for touring and climbing) using a lighter plastic (excursion/t4) or even leathers once you get the hang of the dropknee...

Maybe I should play with my old Solos, but last time I put them on they weren't that comfortable, still have the big toe issue.

paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Post by paulzo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:57 pm

So just to clarify, it sounds like what you are after is in essence a binding that behaves like an NNN-BC with its toe bumper for K&G action, and also has the possibility of full free pivot?
So you want tech pins, but can't have the normally positioned locking lever since that is where the bumper needs to be. I have considered this same thing myself, and wondered how to go about it. One thing I have though about is a variation on TTS. Varying the point at which the heel cable is attached on the TTS varies the "activity" of the binding. I have wondered, could you get that pivot located so that it is almost no activity, just enough to do what the NNN-BC toe bumper does? And use a very light spring force, maybe just bungee? Again, just pondering this, I don't even have any boots with fittings to play with.

Also, are you aware of this item:
https://www.dynafit.com/en-us/equipment ... ch-booster
Might be a starting point for what you have in mind, if you can actually find some and if they are strong enough or can be modified to be (eliminate the folding aspect for starters)

paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Post by paulzo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Also - curious about your boot mods, and would love to see photos and hear about fabric and adhesives you are using to create your bellows.

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:50 pm

Still a work in progress.

This was inspired by Anrothar on this site. He uses Vinyl fabric with flexible cyanoacrylate. I'm not sure what I will do yet.

The material I want is like a rubberized cordura that used to be
IMG_1781.JPG
put on backpacks as a crampon tie down patch. I swear it was called Hypalon. But I ordered some materiel the supposedly is equivalent , but is very different.

For the bellow area and a tongue I may use a non foamed Eva sheet that is heat moldable that is used in the orthotic(not foot) industry. It is very moldable and feels very rubbery. as seen here- http://www.bracemasters.com/products/DRAFO.php

Heres my boot so far