Pomoca Race Roll

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jalp

Pomoca Race Roll

Post by jalp » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:33 pm

Does anyone have any experience with, or opinions on this skin material? https://www.cripplecreekbc.com/products ... =935748065
I have a pair of E99 Tour/Easy Skin on the way and was wondering if this material would be an option to consider rather than buying the Fischer Easy Skins. At the price of the race roll, I could cut a few pairs of skins for the price of one Fischer set. I'm not looking to climb straight up the steeps with these, I'm thinking mostly about warm weather K&G.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Re: Pomoca Race Roll

Post by Nick BC » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:20 pm

I have been thinking the same thing Jalp. I have a pair of Atomic Aspects, 85mm underfoot, and was thinking I might have a go at cutting down one of my older pairs of skins to create a skin skin for mellow touring. My concern is that the skin will peel off at the front due to friction. I guess I could try a dab of epoxy on the front portion to curtail that. Anyone have a source for optimal size/location for this? I know from reading posts on this site that you needn't go too far behind the heel. Maybe I should just go into MEC, our remaining cross country ski store in Vancouver (RIP Sigges), and measure the skin on some of their skis.

jalp

Post by jalp » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:22 am

Nick BC wrote:I have been thinking the same thing Jalp. I have a pair of Atomic Aspects, 85mm underfoot, and was thinking I might have a go at cutting down one of my older pairs of skins to create a skin skin for mellow touring. My concern is that the skin will peel off at the front due to friction. I guess I could try a dab of epoxy on the front portion to curtail that. Anyone have a source for optimal size/location for this? I know from reading posts on this site that you needn't go too far behind the heel. Maybe I should just go into MEC, our remaining cross country ski store in Vancouver (RIP Sigges), and measure the skin on some of their skis.
Hey Nick,

Yeah, I've cut up old nylon skins and made kickers with reasonable success. Earlier this season I used a narrower ski 62/52/60 to cut a pair for some Kahru 78/62/69. I could have just gone with a straight 1" strip down the middle but it was too easy to just stick them onto a narrow ski and slice away. I also chopped them off at the heel. I folded the tips over and set a double cap rivet in each one, then made tips loops with paracord. I've only had them peel back at the tip once due to the knot in the paracord coming loose. They climb great but the glide sucks, feels kinda like skiing on carpet. I'm not disappointed in the project though considering the zero cost and it gets me up a section of one of my frequently visited trails when it's icy.

For this project, I'm mostly concerned with K&G performance and only mild climbing. My thought with the Pomoca is that they are mohair so, from what I've read, should glide far better than nylon. The appeal to me with buying the material in bulk is that I could cut kickers of a couple of different widths for a reasonable price. I'm just not familiar with the bulk Pomoca. I'm not even sure that it is pre-glued. Hoping someone here has some experience with this stuff.

HBS

Post by HBS » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:23 pm

I use Pomoca Climb Pro S-glide skins on my AT setup and the glide is amazing for a 100+mm wide skin. I won't even bother with other companies skins anymore the difference is that big. These race skins are supposedly even better glide so I don't think you will be disappointed.

Skimo.com sells skins by the foot also: https://skimo.co/skins?sort=pd.name&order=DESC

It looks like the roll has the standard clear pomoca backing so I assume that means the glue is already applied.

jalp

Post by jalp » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:53 pm

HBS wrote:I use Pomoca Climb Pro S-glide skins on my AT setup and the glide is amazing for a 100+mm wide skin. I won't even bother with other companies skins anymore the difference is that big. These race skins are supposedly even better glide so I don't think you will be disappointed.

Skimo.com sells skins by the foot also: https://skimo.co/skins?sort=pd.name&order=DESC

It looks like the roll has the standard clear pomoca backing so I assume that means the glue is already applied.
Thanks for the review and link HBS. Yes I do believe this is the way I will go for my next set.