Favorite Ski Meets Favorite Binding

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Favorite Ski Meets Favorite Binding

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:45 pm

Phoenix, they are riva IIs.

I never had that problem with the cable, but I don't set mine too tight. I noticed today that the coils of the springs don't open up at all.

Ben, there were a lot of good bindings that fell out of use with the trend towards more active powerfull bindings. They might be just the ticket for us xcd types.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:10 pm

lowangle al wrote:Phoenix, they are riva IIs.

I never had that problem with the cable, but I don't set mine too tight. I noticed today that the coils of the springs don't open up at all.

Ben, there were a lot of good bindings that fell out of use with the trend towards more active powerfull bindings. They might be just the ticket for us xcd types.
My Riva IIs come with this plastic multi-slot thingy at the front, I can place the cable in one of 4 slots, depending on how stiff I want the cable. As along as the cable stay in one of these slots, I don't see how it could dig itslef a space between the binding and the ski.

After reading about them here, I went to compare them with my voile 3 pin cable springs. I have to say the Rivas do feel much smoother and nicer, but not as active as my 3-pin cables. I should really try them out on a ski I like better than those old Rossi Nepals.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:36 am

Did I miss what the skis and boots were?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:47 am

My FT 62 are 3 pin cable. For XC and D, I just usually ski it 3 pin. When I take it to the ski hill I use the cables. I mounted my Tindan 86 3 pin HW. Maybe for XC and D, I should try pulling the Hardwire and throwing the cables in the pack. I'll have to try sometime.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:37 am

I had plastic wedges under my Rivas, maybe that's why I didn't have a problem.

I may swap out the rivas with a 3pin cable today to see how it compares. I've had the 3p cable for almost 30 years but never had it on a ski I liked.
Woodserson wrote:Did I miss what the skis and boots were?
Sorry woods, the boots are T4 and the ski is the vector. The ski is the variable most likely to change.
fisheater wrote:My FT 62 are 3 pin cable. For XC and D, I just usually ski it 3 pin. When I take it to the ski hill I use the cables. I mounted my Tindan 86 3 pin HW. Maybe for XC and D, I should try pulling the Hardwire and throwing the cables in the pack. I'll have to try sometime.
Bob, if you had some extra 3p cable bindings you could mount them to the HW riser turning it into a traverse and see how that works.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:22 am

Any chance of posting a picture of your ‘new’ combination Al?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:46 pm

P1030200.JPG

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:47 am

Well Al, what you are saying is in line with what Lo-Fi showed us in a video... He explained that he prefers no pin cables too for the ease it provides. He uses a similar binding: no pin hardwire, loosely adjusted... Seing this, I thought I would use my Superloop for yo-yoing... And it worked! The Superloop has an impressive dead spot, but once you passed it, it is very solid. It makes k&G relatively easy. Glad you are having fun with that Riva set-up... And you are right; some skis and binding were really good but marketing and the search for novelty killed them...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Favorite Ski Meets Favorite Binding

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks for the picture.

I can see how not having the pins to lock it in would allow for more ‘play’ (lacking a better word to describe it) resulting in a less restrictive foot movement for kick n’ glide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:28 am

Rod, I don't ever remember seeing those HW bindings that Lo Fi is using. They must have came and went while I was still on three pins.

I'm glad you liked the Superloops. The thing I like about the Rivas is that there is no dead spot, I feel tip pressure as soon as I unweight the soon to be new downhill ski. I think this is responsible for the smoothness. The beauty is that although there is no dead spot the bindings are not so active that it negatively effects K&G performance.