Rotte 3 pin heel pad

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Rotte 3 pin heel pad

Post by Nick BC » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:54 pm

I just mounted up some Super Telemarks, but the heel pad is giving me a feeling of frustration. How the heck do you attach the small plate covering the screws after the heel piece is screwed on? I checked on line for videos/advice without any luck. I tried levering the tiny clips at the sides into place but that didn’t work, then I tried lightly hammering from the top but didn’t want to hit it too hard. Anyone with any advice. Cheers.

jalp

Re: Rotte 3 pin heel pad

Post by jalp » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Nick,
I'm assuming that your heel piece is the same as mine. Serrated aluminum plate with plastic insert, 3 little tabs on each side of the plastic? If so, try seating fully the 3 tabs on one side and then arching the plastic insert to give a bit more clearance for the opposite tabs to engage the slots. Hope that helps.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:40 pm

Nick BC wrote:I just mounted up some Super Telemarks, but the heel pad is giving me a feeling of frustration. How the heck do you attach the small plate covering the screws after the heel piece is screwed on? I checked on line for videos/advice without any luck. I tried levering the tiny clips at the sides into place but that didn’t work, then I tried lightly hammering from the top but didn’t want to hit it too hard. Anyone with any advice. Cheers.
If on the other hand its the newer heel plates 100% plastic, You have to drill a hole an extra hole in the ski to receive the nub of plastic sticking out of one of the two pieces of the heel plate. I forget exactly how I did mine a few months ago, but my bindings did come with a simple instruction set.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Nick BC

Post by Nick BC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:55 am

Yes, it’s the newer 100% plastic one. I guess I’ll drill a hole for the protruding piece. My binding was the last one in stock at MEC in Vancouver and didn’t come with any instructions. Did you manage to tap it into place with a hammer Ben or did it require manoeuvring?

Nick BC

Post by Nick BC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:55 am

Yes, it’s the newer 100% plastic one. I guess I’ll drill a hole for the protruding piece. My binding was the last one in stock at MEC in Vancouver and didn’t come with any instructions. Did you manage to tap it into place with a hammer Ben or did it require manoeuvring?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:40 pm

Nick BC wrote:Yes, it’s the newer 100% plastic one. I guess I’ll drill a hole for the protruding piece. My binding was the last one in stock at MEC in Vancouver and didn’t come with any instructions. Did you manage to tap it into place with a hammer Ben or did it require manoeuvring?
I think I just drilled a hole of the same size as for the screws. It went it jsut fine, no hammer, no sweat. The hole is just a means of keeping the binding aligned without the use of a second screw. Manufacturers try to save pennies where they can!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Nick BC

Post by Nick BC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:54 pm

I’ll give it a whirl thanks again Ben.