Teleman: get well soon!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Teleman: get well soon!

Post by greatgt » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 am

Fisheater hope you get back here and have a ski with the boys....It's like old time tele when everybody had a big grin and were a brotherhood of nuts skiing everything and half the time the nature of the terrain kicked out collective asses......LC your thoughts on the new 109's seem to be totally right on....Telekid skied in and up for a couple of miles and the Nordic Rocker and double camber were not quite in synch.....At the top Teleking....(asked to ski the new skis)....After Telekid struggled on the up....Adjustments or a flaw????? Teleking pinned in and Telekid said it was totally wonderful....Long arcs...ride in and then pop out of deep dips....He and the ski became one and Telekid said it was wonderful to see.....Both came over last night and said the lite skis were never going to be skied by me because they would snap under pressure...My feeling is this....If they break them soon then they probably aren't for me anyway.....Man I love listening to the banter from the two of them and remember these are the kind of skiers that could ski 2-4 with a pin binding and look totally cool doing it...Arc on boys and girls....As of right now we have anywhere from 5-8 feet of depth.....Arc it!!! Teleman

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:51 am

Tman, you must be recovering quickly, I think you're writing better than you were before the head injury! :lol:

You can see from the specs the new E109 and E99 are designed with light weight as the top priority. Great for uphills but probably not so good for skiing the woods on a 2-inch base depth :lol: The Asnes NATO Combat skis are same profile but with a heavier-gauge construction, very thick edges, you might want to put those on your shopping list too.

Which reminds me, I am getting ready to do a Sport Albert order in the next day or two - if anyone in the New England area wants to combine orders to share the shipping cost, let me know....
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:12 pm

T-man-
I am relieved to read your posts and learn that you are recovering from your injury.
I wish you and yours all of the best in this wonderous late winter.
We too have an incredible amount of snow.
We have a solid 2 metres of consolidated base and I came home from work yesterday to a fresh 40cm of dry fluffy powder on top!!!!
Had an absolute dream powder snow tour early this morning!
On the subject of the current E99 and E109 Xtralites with their very soft rockered tips-
Ironically, the instability that their soft rockered tips produce has a negative impact when XC skiing. I am assuming that Fischer intends the "Europa" models to offer more traditional XC performance- compared to the S-Bounds? Anyway, the tip-rockered E99/E109 offer wonderful turn initiation for a double-cambered ski.
In my opinion, all Fischer needs to do is stiffen up the rockered tips of the E99/E109 Xtalite- improving their stability.

My prediction is that you folks will love the E109 once you point them downhill, but it will drive you nuts when XC skiing in VERY deep snow or breakable crust.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:51 am

The boys who skied them down tend to agree what you have been saying for some time....Two of the boys had the same analysis that you have....The down was close to a dream...the up and cruising not so much....All I can do is listen and smile......Figure I have two sets of e-99's....A 205 that can be the awesome and a 215 that can break any trail....If I ever go to a ski area it's closed for the season....In almost perfect corn the 215's were awesome....We were on the Nosedive at Stowe and it was the kind of run that even a broken head doesn't forget....Keep up the good work LC...Teleman

Tele kid
Ski style: Old school Nordic telemark
Favorite Skis: Fisher E-99's
Favorite boots: Andrews North rim

Post by Tele kid » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:40 pm

Wondering about Fisher Excursion 88’s. Also have Nordic rocker. Definitely the e-109’s were the most noodle softest ski I’ve ever been on. I need more experience on them to accurately access them.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Tele kid wrote:Wondering about Fisher Excursion 88’s.
Calling Woodserson!!!!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:36 am

Tele kid wrote:Wondering about Fisher Excursion 88’s. Also have Nordic rocker. Definitely the e-109’s were the most noodle softest ski I’ve ever been on. I need more experience on them to accurately access them.
Without owning a current pair of 88s- yet- from examining the current model in the shop-

Compared to the E-109 Xtralite:
- wider under foot (68 vs. 62mm)
- less cambered (E109 is both more cambered and stiffer underfoot)
- a little less tip rocker- this produces slightly more effective edge and sidecut than the E109
- stiffer more supportive tip. The E109- as you report- has a very soft wimpy tip.
- more stable and supportive flex overall than the E109

I originally reached for the E109 for both the waxable base and the longer length (I also got it on clearance).
The current Asnes Ingstad BC is a MUCH better- much more stable- ski than the E109.

The Fischer 88 is now available in a 199cm length. To me, it is currently the top pick- along with the 78- in a mid-width waxless-scaled BC-XC ski. Asnes now has skis with a waxless-scaled base- I have never tried one- kinda doubt it is better than Fischer's Offtrack Crown...

As another note- the Asnes Ingstad BC has a very stable supportive flex- but it has loads of tip rocker- it really only shines in deep soft snow. The Fischer 78&88 have much less tip rocker and are likely better on consolidated snow than the Ingstad BC...

But- Woods has all of these skis so he can give you the best rundown!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:44 am

It is only my opinion, I have not skied an 88 only a 112. I haven't touched the 112 since I got my Asnes Falketind 62. The FT 62 is pleasant to ski on the trail as long as there is some soft snow. While the FT does drag on hard pack trails it still is way better than the S-112. If I wanted better cross country skiing performance with some downhill turning I would get an Asnes Ingstad. That is based upon the Asnes skis I own, and the reviews of the Ingstad here.
The flex pattern of the Asnes skis just work better, and are more pleasurable for me to ski. Where I live there isn't any XCD gear within 150 miles. So I had to mail order, even boots. I could have ordered through REI I guess, but their phone experts didn't impress me. Bottom line is when you mail order, ordering Asnes (from Neptune) is as easy as ordering Fischer from EMS. It wasn't any more difficult ordering from Sport Albert in Germany, however the shipping was a little expensive. I think my skis flew first class!
Again one man's opinion, turns in a cross country ski, Asnes Ingstad (I trust the many good reviews). Kicking in soft snow to rip downhills on a single camber full rocker, Nordic downhill ski Asnes Falketind 62 or it's big brother the Rabb 68.
Again, if you want closer to an E-99 go Ingstad.
Good Luck, keep posting reports from the Kingdom.

Tele kid
Ski style: Old school Nordic telemark
Favorite Skis: Fisher E-99's
Favorite boots: Andrews North rim

Post by Tele kid » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:06 pm

Thanks for the insight. I’m considering a new ski as well. Ideally two new skis. Rossi bc 110 in 189 or maybe 179’s. Also considering the other end of the spectrum like a bc 70, or fisher excursion. Will definitely look into Åsnes to!!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:54 pm

I am fairly convinced that a current Rossi BC90 is a Fischer Excursion 88- but without Fischer's higher quality base and Easy-Skin kicker skin attachment.
Likewise, I think that the Rossi BC110 is a Fischer S-Bound 112 without Fischer's base and skin slot.