Switchback X2, BD 01 & BMD Spike comparison

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rodbelan

XCD Pinhead
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: All of them; old, new...
Favorite boots: T2X & T4 for off piste; BD Axis for groomers; Merrell for XCD

Switchback X2, BD 01 & BMD Spike comparison

Postby Rodbelan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:25 pm

I checked these ones on the same ski (same hole pattern with inserts). K2 Wayback.
The 3 of em ski pretty nicely. The X2 feels «softer» than the other ones; it engages more slowly but surely. BD 01 & Spike engage quicker; they feel more active (hard to do a scientific comparison, since it also depends on spring pre-load... I tried to have similar adjustments). (I must add that the X2, at the end of the radius mouvement feel very solid). Spike can be very very active or more neutral; there is 7 different pivot positions to choose from. With 01, no pivot position to choose from [but you can change pre-load or cartridge (which tend to loosen up BTW... easy to fix)...]. The sweetest skiing? The Spike. The forefoot feels like screwed in the binding— I have the long cage ones. As far as walk mode, the 01 is very, very good... but after a while, the axis becomes loose a bit; it adds a little wiggle to the binding. The X2 feels very similar; the axis is just a tiny bit further in front of the boot than 01. I never heard of anybody having that kind of problem (wiggle) with X2. The Spike gives the least natural stride in walk mode; it can be annoying but you can get use to it (the axis is really further in front... reminds me of some AT plate binding). The Spike in 75 mm leaves a slot drilled in your soles. No problem, except if you want to sell back the boots. Icing? It happens once with 01, once with X2, and a couple of times with Spike (it seems to be a collateral damage; the cause seems to be a little cotter pin in one of my particular binding...). All of them are great for different reason. I admire the X2 simplicity & solidity. In deep snow, I'd prefer them since you don't want too much activity ... Voilà.

Woodserson

XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile Objective and V6, Altai KOMs, Atomic Vantage 85, XC: Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T4, Alaska

Re: Switchback X2, BD 01 & BMD Spike comparison

Postby Woodserson » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Good analysis Rod, thank you!

I have the BD 02, which as far as I know is the same as the 01 without the tour mode, and the Voile X2 (which I have a few pairs).

I am over the moon with my Voile X2's for all the reasons you describe. They just work and they feel really good. Last year I sold a pair I got on a barter, and Connyro asked me why, and sure enough this year I had to buy another pair, it was a dumb move to sell them. The BD 02's by contrast feel mushier (that's the best word I can come up with)-- I like the power and activity, but they lacked this precision feeling the X2's have when the knee was dropped all the way.

Great to hear your thoughts on the Spike, I have a close friend up in Jay that loves his, but I've never been able to try them (he keeps hogging!).

Rodbelan

XCD Pinhead
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: All of them; old, new...
Favorite boots: T2X & T4 for off piste; BD Axis for groomers; Merrell for XCD

Re: Switchback X2, BD 01 & BMD Spike comparison

Postby Rodbelan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:15 pm

I think the 01 is more powerful because the toe piece is a little sturdier. I use to have a pair of 02 but never did a side to side comparison...

I think you would love the Spike even if the walk mode is somewhat mediocre... or less efficient than the others...

Return to “Telemark Talk Forum”