T2 liners - can these be heated?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
double-0-newb
Ski style: Ski all the things
Favorite Skis: Jak BC, Tacora

Re: T2 liners - can these be heated?

Post by double-0-newb » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:08 pm

phoenix - Indeed, and have been eyeing some T2X in 26.5 and some others local to me.

Leo - See attached for the footbeds I got with the boots. No idea what to look for as far as footbeds go. Thanks for the input, as a boot moulder is exactly who I hoped would offer their opinion (not to diminish anyone elses opinion). I was aware of Scarpas sizing shifts, but thanks for the reminder.

UPDATE -Well, partial success last night!
I followed the REI guide and the Intuition guide, more or less
- Removed insoles from liners
- Used 1.5 lb of rice to fill one sock, zapped for 7 minutes in my 800w microwave
- Used two cotton socks toes under my trusted and well used thin ski socks (the ones I always wear)
- Had to quickly remove the liner from the shell to ensure the rice sock seated properly in the toe box; it would clump and ball no matter how much I banged on the boot or rotated it, then reinserted; left it alone for exactly 7 minutes ("less is more").
- Removed rice sock, inserted my foot, and weighted my foot in such a way as to push my toes as forward as possible (which with my feet and ankles and calfs means a slight leaning back) for 10 minutes while wigggling my toes.

Result - improvement! Not huge or quite enough, but might be. I am tempted to do it again tonight with a third or fourth sock toe added, based on what two sock toes gave as a result.

Stay tuned!
IMG_20190315_190405570.jpg
IMG_20190315_190357895.jpg
IMG_20190315_190343267.jpg
IMG_20190315_190333243.jpg
IMG_20190315_190323316.jpg

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:33 pm

Double-O,

I have not read through the entire thread but still, I few possibly different takes on your problem:

1) You mentioned that you have room for 1 finger behind your bare foot in the shell? To me, that would probably be the bare minimal room you would need. If after several tries thermoforming, its still too tight...perhaps your shell is a tad small?

2) A more radical thermoforming process (compared to rice) is the actual convection oven heating system used at the shop. I have had rather good results using my convention oven and these instructions:
https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/sho ... ion-Liners

Ben
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

double-0-newb

Post by double-0-newb » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Ben,

Rice in liners now! Go-time in 5 minutes for round two!

1 - Closer to 1.5 to 2 fingers really, but yes, I believe I was always on the verge of too small - then my foot flattened. Getting old sucks.

2 - Thanks, I had not seen that.

Standy!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:19 am

I know you're pushing your toe forward to make more room but you still need to have your heel firmly seated in the heel of the boot. I would also pressure the cuff of the boot as if you were skiing.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:10 am

It's a little hard to identify those insoles from the pics, but they certainly appear to be a basic stock issue type, which is likely all foam and offers no real support or stability.

Something like the Superfeet, or SOLE footbeds (my current preference, after years of Superfeet) are good examples of an upgrade to what you have. They are available if different thicknesses. A properly fit and supportive footbed can help reduce the toe problems.

And about the boots: Just my opinion, but I like the older T2's better than the T2X. Never got along with the flex when they changed the cuff.

double-0-newb

Post by double-0-newb » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:56 pm

Welp, update time.

Brought my boots and liners to the local (alpine) shop and we heated the liners in their oven, put neoprene caps over my toes then socks on over that and stood in the boots with knees slightly bent and a wood dowel under the balls of my feet.

Slight improvement, but not quite as much as I wanted.

Tech at shop pointed out how flexy the shell toe area was (not sure if that normal for my vintage of boot or not) and suggested not punching out the shell as it might not survive the process. I told him that would be OK with me as these are end of the line for me, they gotta fit and "resale value" is like what, $100?

So now on the market in 26.5 local to me are
- Used Garmont SynerG's (Montreal)
- Used Red T2X (Sugarloaf)
- New Crispi @ Fey Brothers in CT or NH

@Phoenix - which would you go with?

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:49 pm

{ moved my offer to sell T2X boots to the store }
good luck with your feet
Last edited by 1EyedJack on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

MSU Alum
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Post by MSU Alum » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:28 pm

double-0-newb wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:56 pm
Welp, update time.

Brought my boots and liners to the local (alpine) shop and we heated the liners in their oven, put neoprene caps over my toes then socks on over that and stood in the boots with knees slightly bent and a wood dowel under the balls of my feet.

Slight improvement, but not quite as much as I wanted.

Tech at shop pointed out how flexy the shell toe area was (not sure if that normal for my vintage of boot or not) and suggested not punching out the shell as it might not survive the process. I told him that would be OK with me as these are end of the line for me, they gotta fit and "resale value" is like what, $100?

So now on the market in 26.5 local to me are
- Used Garmont SynerG's (Montreal)
- Used Red T2X (Sugarloaf)
- New Crispi @ Fey Brothers in CT or NH

@Phoenix - which would you go with?
I got a new pair of Crispi Evos and the toe volume was pretty narrow. Baked them in the oven at 200 for 8 minutes (per instructions). Put cotton balls between my toes and the cut off end of one sock over them with a thin sock over that. Put in footbed, inserted liner into boot and put the boots on for 10 minutes. It worked perfectly. Opened up the toebox and thermofit the rest of the boot to my foot/ankle.

I've used this method before as well with success. Never tried the rice method, though I've heard of it.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:00 am

A little hard for me to say on those three boots... I've had a T2X or two; fit well, lightweight, and responsive boot, but the flex pattern wasn't quite ideal for me, though newer models might be different (had mine 10+ years ago). I actually prefer the earlier T2's.
Skied a SynerG for a brief period; felt a little too rigid for my liking.
Never actually skied a Crispi; I really like the flex on the ones I've tried on (forget which models), but the instep wasn't right for me.

Of the three, I'd probably go with the T2X, knowing the fit. Crisp's would be tempting, but I'd have to try a pair on before buying.

double-0-newb

Post by double-0-newb » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:54 am

@ 1EyedJack - Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind and get back to you.

@ MSU Alum - I might give that a try. Thanks.

@ Phoenix - Thanks for the input.

Meeting with Garmont seller tonight and we will see from there. The good news is other than some brand new Crispi XPs from The Fey Brothers, most if not all 75mm boots are pretty cheap these days....and that is a good thing. Who knows, I might well start collecting several, and become the Imelda Marcos of lightly used 75mm tele boots.