Avalanche

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Cannatonic

XCD Guide

Avalanche

Postby Cannatonic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:41 am

man down - telemark skier....RIP. Heroic rescue effort by the rangers but Agiocochook has claimed another. Takeaway - probably better to choose the open slope versus a tight ravine when possible.

https://mountwashingtonavalanchecenter. ... -cataract/

STG

XCD Pinhead

Re: Avalanche

Postby STG » Thu May 09, 2019 10:18 am

I just noticed this. Thanks for posting this very detailed and disturbing account. Sad for the victim and his family. This is a reminder to me why I ski only low-angled terrain and stay out of run-out-zones and terrain traps. There is just too much variability in the snowpack; especially with the greater the distance skied. Wind loading and temperature gradients= slab formation and faceted snow creation.

Cannatonic

XCD Guide

Re: Avalanche

Postby Cannatonic » Sat May 11, 2019 11:54 am

This tragedy hit home with me too - I've always wanted to ski Raymond Cataract - looks like a spectacular line. A long alpine descent. You ski straight down the summit snowfields into a massive, pristine bowl. This guy felt the same pull, none of his friends would go, so he said wtf, I'll just go myself...I've done the same thing a million times. It was spring, the snow was mostly consolidated. It's unbelievable they nearly saved him, they fought hard for it, really sucks.

Return to “Telemark Talk Forum”