Avalanche

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Cannatonic

Avalanche

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:41 am

man down - telemark skier....RIP. Heroic rescue effort by the rangers but Agiocochook has claimed another. Takeaway - probably better to choose the open slope versus a tight ravine when possible.

https://mountwashingtonavalanchecenter. ... -cataract/
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

STG

Re: Avalanche

Post by STG » Thu May 09, 2019 10:18 am

I just noticed this. Thanks for posting this very detailed and disturbing account. Sad for the victim and his family. This is a reminder to me why I ski only low-angled terrain and stay out of run-out-zones and terrain traps. There is just too much variability in the snowpack; especially with the greater the distance skied. Wind loading and temperature gradients= slab formation and faceted snow creation.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat May 11, 2019 11:54 am

This tragedy hit home with me too - I've always wanted to ski Raymond Cataract - looks like a spectacular line. A long alpine descent. You ski straight down the summit snowfields into a massive, pristine bowl. This guy felt the same pull, none of his friends would go, so he said wtf, I'll just go myself...I've done the same thing a million times. It was spring, the snow was mostly consolidated. It's unbelievable they nearly saved him, they fought hard for it, really sucks.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 am

interesting

>>On May 2, 2019, at approximately 1322 hours, my hiking partner and I experienced a massive rock slide while hiking with our skis along the Tuckerman Ravine Trail.

https://mountwashingtonavalanchecenter. ... ntry/1782/

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 pm

sadly, more people did not respect Agiocochook enough

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/ ... story.html

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:49 pm

80-year old tried to hike Marcy, Mansfield, Mt. Wash on consecutive days and almost made it

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/ ... story.html

He was all alone, 5,200 feet up Mount Washington, scrambling over a challenging boulder section of the Lion Head Trail, when his 80-year-old body quit on him.

It had been slowly coming on, an incredible weakness in his muscles, unlike anything James Clark had felt in his life, far from the typical fatigue he experienced on any of the hundreds of mountains he has hiked.

....The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, which coordinated Clark’s dramatic overnight rescue on June 14, are accusing Clark’s grandsons of leaving their 80-year-old grandfather behind — a cardinal sin in hiking — and announced they are considering criminal charges against the family, as well as a hefty bill for the rescue.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:42 am

After reading the article it makes sense to me. As people get older there is a a school of thought that they need to be protected from themselves. It's likely only hiking with his grandsons, both still in their teens, both still embracing and loving newfound personal freedom of being teens. Not only are teens embracing newfound freedom, but also pushing their physical maturity. Pushing their bodies to do more. Also, teens really have no idea of the effects of age on a body.
So what we have is one of the good things in life. Two teenage grandsons respecting their grandfathers wisdom (yes wisdom), he most likely taught them many things over the years. These grandsons also respected his freedom. There is nothing in the article that gave any indication the man was mentally diminished. It seems like HIS plan worked.
He owes his life to those who rescued him. He is also willing to pay for his rescue. It could cost his life's savings, there is no mention of his financial status. However I would imagine he realized at his age things could go wrong. He certainly would not want a disaster that would cause emotional trauma to his grandsons. Putting myself in his shoes, I would be angry and disappointed with myself for putting rescuers through their excertions. That would be a trauma for my soul, because that would curb my activity, as it seems to curbing his.
I know two things for sure. The first is life is a precious gift. The other is as you age it is a tough balance between things you shouldn't do because you are going to be hurt, you're not that man anymore; that, and not enjoying life, staying active, savoring a little rough play. For me, I believe the Great I Am, put that playful spirit in me, He gave me a big dose. He also gives me life. I hope I will embrace both for all my days. If rough play takes me in the end, I can only apologize for my foolishness, after all I was only created flawed, and human.
I also hope if I make 80, I am more of that hiker, than the guy in a rocking chair.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:24 pm

I forgot another thing that was important to the 80 year old man. The knowledge his time for sharing these adventures with his grandchildren was closing. The determination to share the mountains with his grandchildren as long as he could must be strong. I can't help to have anything but admiration.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:41 pm

apparently the grandfather trained with regular 20-mile day hikes so absolutely he's in better shape then most people. I doubt they'll actually bill the family, they probably just want everyone to think about it.