Skins- off-season storage

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Skins- off-season storage

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:52 pm

How do y'all store your skins in the off-season?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Re: Skins- off-season storage

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:44 pm

lilcliffy wrote:How do y'all store your skins in the off-season?
I personally keep my skin on all summer long, actually all year long. I can’t figure out why someone would want to store his or her skin. I find it quite useful to keep my body intact :P

Sorry for my bad sense of humor ;) I just could not help it...

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:29 pm

With skin savers, in a bag, in a drawer, in the garage. The skinny ones I just roll up and then bag.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
lilcliffy wrote:How do y'all store your skins in the off-season?
I personally keep my skin on all summer long, actually all year long. I can’t figure out why someone would want to store his or her skin. I find it quite useful to keep my body intact :P

Sorry for my bad sense of humor ;) I just could not help it...
Ha! Yes- I quite like my skin on as well! :lol:
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:04 pm

I stopped using skin savers, put them base to base, and I keep them in the basement where it's cooler in a big cardboard box. There are three rooms in my basement, I keep them in the driest one, humidity wise.

rongon
Ski style: Wanderer - XCD, telemark
Favorite Skis: Fischer Rebound (3-Pins), Madshus Annum (Switchback), Elan Ripstick 96 (Switchback X2)
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme, Crispi CXP

Post by rongon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:06 pm

Neat trick learned from a fantastic guide I met in Canada...

Instead of the commercial skin savers (which always begin to fall apart, leaving pieces of themselves embedded in the skin glue) I started using strips of non-slip rug pad instead - https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMAST ... /206821336. That seems to be working well for me. They're nice and light, flexible, and don't disintegrate.

Ziggy
Ski style: Touring, telemarking

Post by Ziggy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:34 pm

In the fridge.
The garage can go over 45 C.
Cheers from Down Under

prateekgupta

Post by prateekgupta » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:50 am

I keep them in the basement where it's cooler in a big cardboard box

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:43 am

Climbing SKIN STORAGE:

Climbing skins should be kept dry, sheltered from sunlight (dark) and in normal room temperature. The is no need to freeze down quality skins, as some rumors have it. The most important to notice is that climbing skins should be dried properly after use, and this should NOT be done on a bathroom floor or close to other heat sources.

A climbing skin dries the best hanging on a cord as you dry your clothes – at room temperature. After the skin is dry, you can fold the glue surface against each other and keep them in their designated storage bag. Some skins also come with a “skin saver” or a net to put on the glue. This works well, but most skins with hotmelt glue will handle being glued together. All our skins will tolerate this.

If you experience “sticky and cushy” glue, there is a big possibility that the skins have been dried with too much heat.

6 SIMPLE THING TO REMEMBER TO MAKE THE SKINS LAST FOR LONGER:

1. Remember to dry the skins if they are wet. Drying should be done at room temperature, never on a bathroom floor or close to heat sources.

2. If the skins get exposed to rapid temperature changes and the skins are ripped apart when glued together, it can damage the skins. It is best to mount the skins on the skis inside before one goes outside, or that one store the skins on the inner pocket on the inside of the jacket until one mounts the skins. If skins are taken directly outside in cold weather from a warm cabin, for example, and they are ripped apart from each other, this may mean trouble.

3. Frequent use of skin wax will protect the skins against water absorption, icing and snow accumulation. Skinwax also prevents unnecessary wear on the skins – meaning that you get faster skins, less trouble, and skins that last longer.

4. When mounting the Åsnes short skins (X-Skins) in the skinlock, make sure that they are properly attached and that the skin protector is completely even with the sole of the ski. When that is done, you can attach the skin with its glue to the base of the ski.

5. Avoid violent disassembly of the short skins. If you rip the short skins off too fast and hard, this can cause the skinprotector to break at the back. However, it takes a lot of power and carelessness to get this done. But, be somewhat careful when you rip off the skins.

6. Climbing skins are directional. That is, the hairs on the skin and the way the skins are constructed are intended to move forward, not backward. If one backs and walks backward a lot with skins on the skis, the glue can loosen or the skin twist. It also wears much more on the fibers and the skin in general if it is used in the opposite way than it is intended.

Just a few tips here for you. I usually store them in my cool basement or with my other gear. Dry, cool and dark - not exposed to UV-light (sun).
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway