Randonee (AT) vs Telemarking?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Randonee (AT) vs Telemarking?

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Hey Cope since you're into winter hiking you may also enjoy cross country skiing. Telemark is just xc on steroids for me. People have been doing xc for years because it gets you where you're going and it feels good. AT may get you where you want to go and it's probably fun, but I don't know how good it could feel when your boots soles don't bend and they pivot on the toe. I find it unnatural and uncomfortabe to ware boots that don't bend.

I think it depends how important the downhill is for you, but for touring telemark gets my vote.

Rongon, my vectors aren't big enough for most breakable crust. For that I would want something at least 108mm underfoot or wider. I'm taking my vectors back East this season and hope to do some sking. Are you in the Catskills?

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 am

AT is at....Alpine....Slow to get where your going....Waaaay heavy compared to minimalist Tele gear....AT is alpine and most of the gear is gigantic....Lean tele skis beat AT in about every way....Going to....going up.....slicing down...the thing most people do....is Alpine...parallel turns....yuck!.....The option is heading down....extend.....snow rides up the leg into your face....FACE SHOTS.....forever.....Worried about ice get ice skates.....If your into the most thrilling and most fulfilling ride on earth......TELEMARK....Nothing like it.....Teleman

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:21 am

rongon wrote:The answer to the question really revolves around what kind of terrain you want to ski over/across/up/down.

I went on a glacier traverse in the Canadian Rockies on my telemark rig - 3-buckle plastic boots, Voile Vector skis (no fish scales) with skins, Voile Switchback X2 bindings. There was a group of young folks from the Vancouver area tagging along who were all on modern Dynafit AT setups with pretty big skis (bigger, heavier, slightly wider than my Vectors). Most of them weren't terribly good skiers. I would not consider myself a highly skilled skier, but I seemed to be more technically on it than they were.

Much of a glacier traverse is more like XC skiing than skin up/ski down. Each day held 6 to 8 miles of traversing, with lots of long, low-angle stretches, punctuated by the occasional really steep (and fairly long) ascent or descent. The snow was wind-battered, so there was plenty of difficult skiing on wind crusts, along with some dicey skiing on thin snow with plenty of rocks poking out. There was no ice, but not a lot of powder that hadn't been wind-hammered.

The young folks with the AT gear had a much easier time than I did skiing down the steep stuff. They had better control. I could not keep control with alpine turns going down the 40+ degree, wind-crusted steeps. I *had* to make telemark turns to keep my speed in check. I punched through the crust with each turn. The young AT folks skied faster and with less busting into the crust. That could have been from their wider and longer skis, but the power of an alpine setup would definitely help there as well.

On the long flat stretches, they had the advantage of youthful strength and endurance, so they kept a pretty good pace. I was able to keep up only because of my lighter skis and looser touring setup. That was purely because of my being older and not in as good physical shape as them.

Had I brought my heavier/bigger skis (Dynastar Cham 97 HM with AXL bindings), I would have had better control on the steeps, but I'd have paid for it with lots of strain from dragging the weight of those bigger skis and skins across the glaciers. That would have left me with less energy to handle the steep downs, so the heavier gear might not have been enough to keep me in control. Tough call whether I made the right choice bringing a lighter setup. I think it was the right choice.

So, my point? I found that ounce-for-ounce, it certainly looks like you get a lot more power and control from an AT setup. You have to be a really good telemark skier to hang with the AT crowd in alpine terrain. So, if you're looking to ski big mountain backcountry (out West), then I'd say stick with AT and use the ski skills you have, work on your backcountry travel, survival, and avalanche safety skills.

If you're in the Northeast or staying at lower elevations below treeline, then maybe telemark would make more sense. I know tele makes much more sense here in the Adirondacks, Greens and Whites (upstate NY and northern New England). Long, rolling approaches do not seem to go well for those with AT setups. Traveling over rolling terrain for 6 miles before getting to only about 1500 feet of vert is usually considered 'not worth it' by those with AT setups. That's the usual thing for a telemark skier around here.

So the answer to your question really depends on what exactly you want to ski, what terrain, and how much of that terrain will be rolling/up-and-down and flat as compared to higher-angled skin up/ski down.

Sorry that was so long and rambling. It's always difficult to cover everything in this topic. I've tried to explain it so many times...
I found this insightful, interesting, well presented, and useful information for my skiing desires. Thanks.
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

OB1

Post by OB1 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:45 pm

Priority #1 is just getting out there. Once that's done, most of these questions just vaporize into the mist. There is beauty in every system and every type of turn. Find your preference. If anybody dismisses your choice they are spending too much time on the internet and not enough outside. What music do you like? I've been a telemark skier most of my life. I love the grace of the turn, and I also find it is my most confident way to navigate the steeps. Turn initiation is so good! But, to be honest, I love to play and to experiment. I've been on AT the last two years, and I'm still learning. There is no question it is a lighter setup. There is no question it is simpler. Mobility? That is what others have touched on. The tele setup allows a more natural flexion all of the way from the toes to the top of your head. But to rock a solid BC setup these days on tele you pay a huge weight penalty. Lets talk pounds. On each foot. Two? That makes a bit of a difference on your hip flexors repeating skin tracks, breaking trail, whatever. How many runs do you want to take? I have no objections to spending hours on the light AT setup I have right now (Sportiva Spectre boots, Voile V6 skis with Dynafit ST10s). I'm having a blast out there. And really, if I want to go tele again, I will. This weekend I watched the most ripping turns of my partners on their split-boards. I also watched them deal with the massive headache of reconfiguring their sh** for the climb back out. Nothing easy there. The tradeoff? Epic, gorgeous turns. Every system has its plusses and minuses. My first priority is getting into the mountains. The rest takes care of itself. Get on out there and have some fun!

DG99

Post by DG99 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:59 am

I’ve fiddled with all these. I ended up with a pair of each.
Alpine downhill gear for skiing resort. I used to telemark the resort too, but it’s a bit of a handicap, and the bindings don’t release or release well generally. Fun skill to learn though.

I have a light AT setup. Great for uphill downhill tours. Light binding with a good release system, good for steep skiing. I do miss the mobility and flexibility of a telemark rig sometimes.

And I have a telemark ski with fish scale bottom, plastic boots. Great thing for mixed terrain, up, down, across etc. Voile Vector BC, Switchback bindings, Scarpa T2X. Wide enough and burly enough for all sorts of snow conditions but also highly mobile.