When skiing was beautiful, an art, an expression of self..

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
STG

Re: When skiing was beautiful, an art, an expression of self..

Post by STG » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:15 pm

Great photos! So much wisdom and talent on this forum. My goals are modest. I am happy if I have a day of skiing without injury and get back to the car to have another day. I ski alone most of the time, so I don't know if I have grace and smoothness in my skiing. I do know if I am not centered and fluid in my movements, it feels rough and it doesn't take much for me to get off balance. Really looking forward to winter here in Montana!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:28 pm

STG wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:15 pm
Great photos! So much wisdom and talent on this forum. My goals are modest. I am happy if I have a day of skiing without injury and get back to the car to have another day. I ski alone most of the time, so I don't know if I have grace and smoothness in my skiing. I do know if I am not centered and fluid in my movements, it feels rough and it doesn't take much for me to get off balance. Really looking forward to winter here in Montana!
Yeah STG! Thanks for chiming in! I totally hear it, sometimes when my head and body are not in balance, my chi is off, the WuWu isn't working, and I can just feeeel the fact that I'm not feeeeeeling... I pack it in and go home. But when I feel it, I feeeel it. That's when I know I'm flowing. And when I flow, I am less apt to get hurt... So you feel it? If you feel it, you have it. Sometimes it's only three turns in many, many days of skiing. Those are the turns that keep me coming back. Big thing to get hurt alone, I think about it a lot.

Check out Sister Carolina here! Look at this picture! She is not a nun, she is not a woman, she is not human, she is an Elemental Being, digging her roots deep into the mountain, harnessing the power of the hill, the snow, using her skis (Spaulding?), as an instrument of translation. She is speaking the language of the cosmic universal laws of physics manifesting them into the real with precision and grace and beauty. This beauty is power, it is art, it is truth, this is the sex in skiing (not trying to offend anyone's religious sentiments). Amazing picture of some beautiful skiing. I love it! So inspiring! I am inspired by Sister Carolina.

(Seriously, Olins or Spaulding?)

IMG954067.jpg

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:20 pm

I was in a class with an Austrian instructor once when I was in my teens; he was very much the young buck instructor image. remember one line from him: " You should caress the snow as you would your mistress..." Or pretty damn close to that. True story.

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:12 pm

SUZY CHAPSTICK.jpg
"SUSIE CHAPSTICK" -- U.S. OLYMPIC SKIER AND BALLET SKIER IN THE 80's
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:01 pm

I LOVE IT JACK! I LOVE IT!

Keep 'em coming everyone! What gets you hot?!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:14 pm

phoenix wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:20 pm
I was in a class with an Austrian instructor once when I was in my teens; he was very much the young buck instructor image. remember one line from him: " You should caress the snow as you would your mistress..." Or pretty damn close to that. True story.
Great story!

Is your buddy in this old Austrian line-up, Phoenix?
IMG_20190903_161211.jpg
(From Hooked On Skiing)

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:22 pm

No, he was much more of a stud muffin than those guys. And his exact words came back to me after I poster: "as you would your mistresses bosom". Could tell he was proud of that line. I was maybe 13, made a big impression. (People have commented on my style being 'graceful').

That Suzy Chaffe pic brings back a memory too... met her at the end of a sidecountry traverse at Snowbird in the 70's. She was pretty cool, and having a great time.

MSU Alum
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Post by MSU Alum » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Yeah....the good old days.

I don't feel as though the experience of skiing has lost the sense of wonder it had all through the years - or the sense of self expression. I sure don't miss "in the boot pants", or wrapping "long thongs" around my leather boots for more support racing through bamboo gates 50 years ago! Nowadays, it's pretty fun spinning off that last bump, landing switch on tele gear and making turns under the chair with "youngsters" watching! Especially if they're young girls....you know, like in their 40's.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:42 pm

Real men ski 204’s. Just saying....
And of course women in their 40’s are hot young chics. I can’t imagine what other age group you would be talking about!