When skiing was beautiful, an art, an expression of self..

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: When skiing was beautiful, an art, an expression of self..

Post by Woodserson » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:38 pm

Y'all getting distracted by low fruit! The clothes and gear are totally irrelevant. It's not about the materials-- it's about the style, the love, the sashay, the energy, the expression of the self through the motion.

There's a lot of gorilla+bulldog+straddling-a-horse skiing going on lately around my mountain. It provides results in the high school and collegiate gates but it's no Ingemar Stenmark! It's brute force. No subtlety, no grace, no conversation between skier and viewer, less between skier and mountain.

Bring the sexy back. The question to ask: When you look at someone ski, what do you see, what do you interpret?

Tell me a story, ski to show me who you are.

Stenmark floats on air between 2:05 and 2:13. I find him inspiring.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:40 pm

I also find Marcus Cranston to be very inspiring. Probably the most artistic thoughtful skier I have watched lately having one of the most interesting conversations. I am never bored watching him ski. Unique, powerful yet graceful, inventive, fluid, precise... there's some talkin' going on here. I'm listening.

oldschool47

Post by oldschool47 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:51 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:38 pm
The question to ask: When you look at someone ski, what do you see, what do you interpret?

Tell me a story, ski to show me who you are.

Ingemar taking the gates in this clip reminds me of Pistol Pete weaving between defenders on the BB court. Fluidity and rhythm. Poetry in motion.

MSU Alum
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Post by MSU Alum » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:08 am

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:38 pm

This is a dangerous thing to do.....the flaming can always get deadly. But I'll step up and "bare my soul".
I started telemarking when I turned 50, in 2002. The video is from 10 years later in 2012 or so. I doubt if you'll find my skiing particularly inspiring, and there's plenty to criticize in my form, but I still felt like I was presenting my skiing as art - as a reflection of who I am. That's the subject, not ability, right?

It may well be the art of a 10 year old with crayons!

But, does that really matter?

BTW, it's on a pair of 185 Armada JJ's....great ski, if not great skier.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:18 pm

I'd say you got it going on MSU Alum. I would say if it feels good it's art, if it doesn't feel good it might be art, but crappy art.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:59 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:18 pm
I'd say you got it going on MSU Alum. I would say if it feels good it's art, if it doesn't feel good it might be art, but crappy art.
This is it! +1

No flaming here, this isn't a critique thread about who does what, it's a "what gets you inspired thread" to ski beautifully and accent the mountain with style and panache. It could be on leathers, it could be NTN, it could be fixed heel or on a snowboard. It just needs SOUL, no robots. La Glisse, maaaaaan... La Glisse.

MSU Alum, that's a great video right there, tough to repress a shit-eating grin watching it! Man, skiing is GOOD. What boot/binding combo in that vid?

MSU Alum
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Post by MSU Alum » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:05 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:59 pm
lowangle al wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:18 pm
This is it! +1

No flaming here, this isn't a critique thread about who does what, it's a "what gets you inspired thread" to ski beautifully and accent the mountain with style and panache. It could be on leathers, it could be NTN, it could be fixed heel or on a snowboard. It just needs SOUL, no robots. La Glisse, maaaaaan... La Glisse.

MSU Alum, that's a great video right there, tough to repress a shit-eating grin watching it! Man, skiing is GOOD. What boot/binding combo in that vid?
Thanks.
It's the Armada JJ in a 185 (They practically ski themselves in these conditions). I just looked closely and it looks like three buckle Garmont Syner-G's boots and Hammerhead bindings. Oh, and that's at The Canyons resort off of Dreamcatcher lift.