Final selection for my first XCD kit: Åsnes Combat vs. Madshus Eon (Wax/Waxless)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Re: Final selection for my first XCD kit: Åsnes Combat vs. Madshus Eon (Wax/Waxless)

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:37 pm

exlibris wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:06 pm
I really do appreciate all of the thoughts and feedback. And, Martin, thanks for your direct feedback on the Ingstad for such a similar trip as the one I have planned. By the way, what binding/boot combination were you on? I'm starting to lean towards the Alpina Alaska NNN-BC with the Rottefella Magnum.

After waffling between the Ingstad (Waxless + skins) and the Falketind, I think I'm ready to move forward on the Ingstad. Had the FTs been available, I may have gone this route, but I'm feeling pretty positive about the Ingstad. As these things go, there is of course no perfect solution and I'm hopeful that the Ingstads will be a ski to serve me well in a fairly broad set of conditions.

So with that (mostly) settled, I'm trying to pin down a proper length. Given my size (5'7", 135lb + various pack weights) I'm thinking either 175 or 185: on the shorter side, I'm sure I'd feel more comfortable on the descents but the 185 would almost certainly be better when I'm loaded up with a pack and/or focusing more on XC. Currently, leaning towards the 185...
You are more than welcome!

I have Alaska 75 with Voile Traverse. When I bought them I did not know much about NNN-BC so it was not really a factor for me and the 3-pin was the only option really. I like the flexibility of the 3 pins to have leather/plastic option with the same bindings.

I think you will be very happy with the Ingstad for the intended use but soon you will want more skis... but I have already warned you about that. I am personally getting a pair of Rabb for the xcD days but will probably mostly use my Ingstad for longer trip and also for wandering around in my forest. 205 might seem long to ski in the forest but I skied for years with E99 210 cm so I am used to it.

For the length, as I said I actually have the 195 but I have to return my skis and I will take the opportunity to get the 205. I really think the additional 10 cm would have made a great difference during my last trip because of the additional grip on the steeper sections. Keep in mind that you will probably soon ;) buy a pair of skis more xcD oriented so I would suggest to get the 185 cm to get better XC performance.

Well that is what I think... don't be mad at me if you follow my advices and pick the wrong skis or length :D

exlibris

Re: Final selection for my first XCD kit: Åsnes Combat vs. Madshus Eon (Wax/Waxless)

Post by exlibris » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:20 am

All good info and I'm certain I'll have at least a couple of pairs of skis by the end of the season. For the Ingstads, I'm likely going the NNN-BC route -- based on favorable reviews, especially with the Alpina Alaskas -- but if I were picking up the Falketind 62s or Rabbs, I would go 3-pin.

And speaking of the Falketind 62s, sportalbert.de just got back to me with an email to confirm that they'll have this year's version up on the site for sale towards the end of the week. 479,95€. Very tempting.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:52 pm

exlibris wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:20 am

And speaking of the Falketind 62s, sportalbert.de just got back to me with an email to confirm that they'll have this year's version up on the site for sale towards the end of the week. 479,95€. Very tempting.
Have you checked with a NA store for a special order if they are not available in store? I would think it would be cheaper than importing them from Europe but I might be wrong. I know there is not too many stores carrying Åsnes skis in NA so I think it is worth supporting them, when possible, so that they may extend their Åsnes offer.

Just a thought from someone that sell most of its production locally;)

exlibris

Post by exlibris » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:02 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:52 pm

Have you checked with a NA store for a special order if they are not available in store? I would think it would be cheaper than importing them from Europe but I might be wrong. I know there is not too many stores carrying Åsnes skis in NA so I think it is worth supporting them, when possible, so that they may extend their Åsnes offer.

Just a thought from someone that sell most of its production locally;)
I have, in fact. I sent an email to Neptune Mountaineering last week -- still waiting to hear back. Where are you located, and do you have an outfit through which I could place an order?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:18 pm

exlibris wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:02 am

I have, in fact. I sent an email to Neptune Mountaineering last week -- still waiting to hear back. Where are you located, and do you have an outfit through which I could place an order?
Neptune never got back to me concerning this very theme. I wrote a few months ago. Let me know what you find out.

Sport Albert... VERY TEMPTING indeed. And they respond to emails and actually take your money and ship skis.

exlibris

Post by exlibris » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:18 pm

Neptune never got back to me concerning this very theme. I wrote a few months ago. Let me know what you find out.

Sport Albert... VERY TEMPTING indeed. And they respond to emails and actually take your money and ship skis.
Have you personally ordered from Sport Albert (or know anyone who has)? I'm curious to know what the experience has been -- especially with concern to the quality their of workmanship when mounting bindings.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:43 pm

exlibris wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Have you personally ordered from Sport Albert (or know anyone who has)? I'm curious to know what the experience has been -- especially with concern to the quality their of workmanship when mounting bindings.
Yes, I have bought three pairs of skis and they all showed up in good packaging. If you are in the States, it takes a while to cross the pond and clear customs. Be patient. Weeks. BUT ASNES!

I mount my own bindings, I have not experience with them. (but the bundle deals are awesome-- when you start adding things up and getting discount!)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:02 pm

My Falketind came from Sport Albert. I ordered online and they sent me a wonderful confirmation email written in German! I took Spanish in high school.
I told myself give it a week, but I wondered if I was an idiot ordering a ski from Germany, that I had not even read a review on.
Well, I didn’t wait much more than that week. The skis came. They seemed a little flat cambered and I was concerned about the kick and glide. I waited probably two weeks wondering if I was going to hate their cross country performance. Again nothing to worry about.
Sport Albert did a great job of shipping me skis in a timely fashion. I will say, I wish I could read German, when I received the confirmation email.
I would order from Sport Albert again, but I will always call Neptune first. For what it’s worth, I have done quite well calling Neptune. They are more than willing to check stock. They are also quite willing to check into what they have ordered. All that info is available for a 10 minute phone call.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:19 pm

exlibris wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:02 am
[quote="Nitram Tocrut" post_id=27809 time=1569289977 user
[/quote]

I live in Canada and I did a special order from La Cordee in Montreal just North of the border in Canada ;) . Great service from Vincent that you can email at vlorber@lacordee.com and he should answer in a matter of days. if you want to compare pricing with the German store. I would think that shipping is cheaper but who knows? The thing is that it is a special order so the sooner the better if you are interested. Good luck!

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:46 am

fisheater wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:02 pm
My Falketind came from Sport Albert. I ordered online and they sent me a wonderful confirmation email written in German! I took Spanish in high school.
I told myself give it a week, but I wondered if I was an idiot ordering a ski from Germany, that I had not even read a review on.
Well, I didn’t wait much more than that week. The skis came. They seemed a little flat cambered and I was concerned about the kick and glide. I waited probably two weeks wondering if I was going to hate their cross country performance. Again nothing to worry about.
Sport Albert did a great job of shipping me skis in a timely fashion. I will say, I wish I could read German, when I received the confirmation email.
I would order from Sport Albert again, but I will always call Neptune first. For what it’s worth, I have done quite well calling Neptune. They are more than willing to check stock. They are also quite willing to check into what they have ordered. All that info is available for a 10 minute phone call.
I am wondering how much it costed you for the shipping and the customs?