Final selection for my first XCD kit: Åsnes Combat vs. Madshus Eon (Wax/Waxless)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Final selection for my first XCD kit: Åsnes Combat vs. Madshus Eon (Wax/Waxless)

Post by fisheater » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:00 pm

I am wondering how much it costed you for the shipping and the customs?
[/quote]

I was concerned about customs. One of my concerns was that my skis might be stuck in New York, with money owed for custom’s fees. That didn’t happen. They were shipped via DHL, whom I believe to be experts in European shipping. All that didn’t come cheap. If memory serves me correctly shipping was close to $100.00 USD. I’m pretty sure that was 1rst class, with complimentary drinks, steak for dinner, and a new release movie ;)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Final selection for my first XCD kit: Åsnes Combat vs. Madshus Eon (Wax/Waxless)

Post by Woodserson » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:26 pm

70 euro, I think, from the FT's I just ordered a few months ago. About $76usd on this particular date.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:23 am

If you create an account with Sport Albert- include your email address- you will get an email from DHL.
Then create a DHL account-
This will not only allow you to track your shipment- it will allow you to pay all of the fees online so that the shipment does not get held up anywhere.

I just ordered a pair of boots from Telemark Pyrenees- using DHL- paid all the fees via DHL online- they were at my doorstep in rural Canada in 3 days!

So have you decided on the FT62? It is interesting how much Asnes is tinkering with these skis- both the 62 and the 68...

Crister states that the FT62 has more XC performance than the Rabb 68- I wonder if that is a comment on the new model- perhaps having more stiffness underfoot (i.e. like the Ingstad underfoot)?

As Woods's recent report confirms my experience- the outgoing FT62 has a much rounder flex than the Ingstad.

Are you looking for a downhill-focused ski?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

exlibris

Post by exlibris » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:02 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:23 am
So have you decided on the FT62?
For the upcoming hut trip, I have indeed decided on this year's FT62 (NNN-BC + my newly arrived Alpina Alaskas). I'm currently waiting to hear back from Neptune Mountaineering on whether to not they can tack on my skis to their waiting-to-be-fulfilled order with Åsnes. If this falls through, I'll be going through Sport Albert.

Also: for anyone following this thread that may be interested in last year's FT62 (red top graphics), Neptune has one remaining pair in 180cm at a 30% discount. Final price is about $360, which sounds like a steal. Wish I could grab them myself but really think I should be on the 172cm...

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:15 am

I have that version of the FT62- lots of tip rocker and a round flex- they ski "short" for their length.
I would strongly consider the 180cm at that price- especially if you want them for Nordic touring.
At your height and weight, I can see getting the 172cm if you wanted them as a downhill-focused ski...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.