Recommendation for XCd ski for central Alberta foothills

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Recommendation for XCd ski for central Alberta foothills

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:05 pm

Genoah77 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:41 pm
As for narrow skis not doing well in deep snow, I gleaned from the forums that they have less flotation. But I think I saw that some skis make up for that with good stability and tracking under the snow?
Flotation is not only a function of width but the total surface area of the ski.
Stability in deep snow is about flex pattern- some skis being so soft that they are unstable in deep snow- particularly when touring.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99, Åsnes Ingstad & Cecilie, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:15 pm

HI! If you are on a budget just go for the first pair of E99-style (Fischer or equivalent spec'qed ski) ski you can find on the used market in the APPROPRIATE LENGTH for you, say 195-200cm. Fishscales or wax is mostly a personal preference according to local conditions. If you get the skis cheap enough you can buy a second pair later when you know more about the sport and you preferences.

It really can be as easy as that!

Good luck!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Nitram Tocrut
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: "Doorstep" backcountry skiing and groomed trails
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Europa 99 and Salomon Equipe 8
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska 75 mm

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:16 pm

Genoah77 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:37 pm
Haha thanks for the warning Nitram, I will do my best to resist ;)

I see, so the older E99 (pre Xtralite?) is the better ski?

Is the new E99 still passable?
I can’t speak for recent version of the E99 as I don’t own any. I can say that the older version I own, 20 years and counting, were quite stiff and I opened trails in pretty deep snow with a heavy backpack. I have 2 pairs at 210 and 220 and I guess one of the reason that they have good flotation, if I refer to LilCliffy post, is the length and the stiffness of those skis as they are narrow enough to fit into groomed tracks. Also, they were really good at climbing even on pretty steep and narrow hiking trails without skins. I guess that suggest they could hold the wax pretty well or that I am (was...) a pretty good XC skier :lol:

Seriously, you can’t go wrong with those skis.

Genoah77
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

Post by Genoah77 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 pm

Thanks for the help everyone!

I did find an older Europa 99 online with 3 pin bindings, but I haven't chosen between those and NNNBC...

So should I go for 195+ cm for my height and weight? Especially since I may have a pack.

bgregoire
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT

Post by bgregoire » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 am

195 will be easier to turn and skoot around trees. 200 will be faster on the flats. At 160lbs plus small pack, personally I would not go for a ski longer thanks 200, maybe 205 in a pinch, but I have a lot of trees to dodge here in eastern Quebec.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Nitram Tocrut
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: "Doorstep" backcountry skiing and groomed trails
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Europa 99 and Salomon Equipe 8
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska 75 mm

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:04 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 am
195 will be easier to turn and skoot around trees. 200 will be faster on the flats. At 160lbs plus small pack, personally I would not go for a ski longer thanks 200, maybe 205 in a pinch, but I have a lot of trees to dodge here in eastern Quebec.
I am 6’1 and over 200 pounds and I skied my 210 E99 on multi day hut to hut trip with a heavy backpack. I would follow Ben’s advice and don’t go to long. As for bindings, why not keeping the old one and find a pair of used leather boots to start? Save your money for your next pair of skis ;)

lilcliffy
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad BC; Asnes Gamme 54 BC; Asnes Storetind Carbon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:40 pm

Forgive me if I am misinterpreting your skiing context-
Cold dry snow suggests to me that you need flotation and stability if you are going to tour on a narrow distance-oriented ski - plus your subject of XCd suggests primary cross-country skiing?
If so I reccommend as long a length as you can get- in a ski that has a backcountry soft snow flex.

As an example- the Finns use 250+cm narrow skis for this skiing context...

Unless I am misinterpreting yhe kind of skiing you are planning to do- I would err on the side of long- not short- with an E99-class ski.

This site might help as well:
https://wintertrekking.com/back-country-skiing/skis/
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT

Post by bgregoire » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:27 am

Lilcliff is right, in cold dry snow, its nice to have a ski that floats well.

But don't waste too much time looking for 250cm skis in North America. You will not find them. Besides, I have spent some time skiing and living in both Sweden and Norway, and I have only seen LONG skis on snow ONCE. A real funny oldschooler was renting them out. Otherwise, I did spot some old ones hanging on barn walls, restaurants and such (Still, I would like to own a pair for kicks).

Sure a long ski like that will float better but with length also comes several inconveniences. First, if you are new to XC, it might be harder to control such long skis. They are going to be heavier as well (imagine how heavy they would feel with full-skins!). They are going to be harder to steer on the down. And they are going to be really difficult to transport (car, bus, airplane)...

So yeah, don't waste time looking for a 2.5m long finnish ski...

But also, careful with looonger traditional double camber skis like the E99, the camber can be quite stiff on some versions, so if you want to go say for a 210cm, see if you can flatten the camber out with your weight first. In my mind, a first BC XC ski should be versatile, and when you hit a hardpacked lake or snowmobile trail, you will appreciate the fact that the wax pocket (inside the camber) actually hits the snow and grips.

Genoah77
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

Post by Genoah77 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:58 am

Yes lilcliffy, you are right about my XC focus.

Sounds good, I will weigh the importance of turning and of flotation before deciding on length. Good advice for flattening the camber, Ben.

As my family wants to be ready to just get out there this season, I actually bought 9 (!) pairs of skis for super cheap on Kijiji, all narrow track skis. The guy was essentially giving away a bundle. Looks like your prophecy has come true Nitram ;)

One of them is an older wooden Tampere ski from Finland. The camber is pretty soft, but despite that I'm excited to try it out while I continue the hunt for a XCd ski!

I found some good posts about pine tarring, but the bottoms still look quite dark so I'm wondering if I can skip that this season. But I don't know when that was last done, so perhaps it is better to tar them anyway?

Woodserson
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile Objective and V6, Altai KOMs, XC: Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T4, Alaska

Post by Woodserson » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Genoah77 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:58 am

I found some good posts about pine tarring, but the bottoms still look quite dark so I'm wondering if I can skip that this season. But I don't know when that was last done, so perhaps it is better to tar them anyway?
Strip and redo. I find lots of people just get gobbing up their skis. Slow.