where should i go?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: where should i go?

Post by CwmRaider » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:48 am

By the way I lived in Switzerland before.
The Alps are great tour destinations but to me it is more for Alpine Touring with plastic boots, full length skins, dynafit style bindings and avalanche beepers.
The Jura mountains offer similar BC tours to Norway, but are quite a bit warmer so snow conditions may not be there, there are villages in the Jura so it is less wild and I don't know about sorting accommodation there.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:29 am

roelant, thanks a bunch for the detailed info. you have given me a lot of leads and i really appreciate it! maybe i will see you out one of the trails there in march :)

fwiw, it was a sad day when i sold my pulk this summer. it went to a neighbor who i know appreciates it and uses it all the time, but sad because i had put so much work into getting it to be how i wanted it. oh well, maybe i'll build another in the future, but for now it's all backpack skiing for me

t-$

Post by t-$ » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:50 am

wow, ok...so roelant i looked at the first suggestion you gave from oppdal to the 2 huts. maybe i am getting in over my head?? so another question if i could ask would be, from oppdal to the first hut at Gjelvasshytte, would there be a marked trail to ski over there, or would i essentially be skiing the road for 20k? then, from there, i'm not sure if i would be able to tackle the mountain in between there and jodalshytta. i mean i know i could get there eventually, but probably past dark and descending an unknown mountain in an unknown backcountry in the dark makes me a bit nervous. just want to be realistic.

i should just go and do it and not stress, but i guess i'm just curious how well marked the trails are and maybe how many other folks i might expect to see in this backcountry. thanks again for the information...

CwmRaider

Post by CwmRaider » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:50 am

Hi,

If you do the"Trollheimen Triangle", the most challenging passage is over the mountain between Trollheimshytta and Gjevilvasshytta (north-east of Blåhøa, near 1400m). There is only one viable passage near the highest point; this one is permanently marked with big iron stakes.

Here is a map with the precise winter trails to follow. Activate "vinterløype" and "hytter".
https://ut.no/kart#10/62.7471/9.615

Of course, crossing an unknown, unpopulated mountain terrain in the winter is daunting, this is true wherever you go.
If you go during Easter holidays you will NOT be alone in the cabins, and you will meet a few people during the day, and the tracks will be clearly marked. Perhaps this is a better option?
Marking between the huts is otherwise put in place shortly before Easter, they plant small birch branches in the snow. But a GPS and a map and compass are very useful. You could send an email to the cabin email address or to Trondheim Turistforening, they can counsel you and provide information when the markings are put in place.

Watch out, the trail between Jøldalshytta and Trollheimshytta goes through a different valley in the summer (red tracks) and winter (blue tracks) because of the avalanche risk in the straight east to west valley. The descent towards the Gråsjøen lake is fun, steep-ish (for me) slalom through low density forest.

Trollheimen is not especially difficult, if you're relatively comfortable making telemark turns the skiing should be OK.

In late March you get 12 hour daylight, so it should be OK, light-wise.
For me over 30 km is a bit over the comfort zone and in your place I would book the Gjevilvasshytta for the first night, it is 8 km skiing from Osen. The Gjevilvasshytta website suggests taking the taxi from Oppdal to Osen; this may cost you 15 euros.

Reindeer tracks in the valley, from Trollheimshytta to Gjevilvasshytta. The trail goes through the valley and up the diagonal shoulder in front of the mountain in the center of the picture.
IMG_20190420_102903.jpg
Climbing up the steepest part towards the highest elevation point, same segment. It was a bit icy so we took off the skis.
IMG_20190420_141726.jpg

CwmRaider

Post by CwmRaider » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:44 am

To expand your possibilities a bit and to show the possibilities here in Norway:
Here is a very general map indicating winter ski trails.
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/turi ... f83c48.pdf
All of the blue lines represent marked trails during Easter. The numbers inside blue circles indicate km distance between two cabins.
Before Easter, many trails are not marked, so you need to find your own way, or contact the local branch of the tourist agency.

Here some pictures from the Sylan trips near the Swedish border. The topography is generally flatter.

Between Storerikvollen and Bjørneggen, Storsylen in the background
35780769_10156540723848086_7540109387877056512_o.jpg
Between Storerikvollen and Bjørneggen
18076725_10155316508133086_438441962346895707_o.jpg
The mountain plateau between Bjørneggen and Schulzhytta
10838173_10153283516408086_3187422215557073445_o.jpg
Climbing towards a mountain pass between Schulzhytta and Ramsjøhytta.
18076773_10155316510143086_7352953354621277602_o.jpg
Departing from Ramsjøhytta towards Storerikvollen. Mount Fongen in the background
18055656_10155316509573086_7240186367043162501_o.jpg

Okay that's enough advertising, I dont mean to hijack your thread :D
Note that I do not take many pictures when the weather is bad, so this is maybe a bit of a one sided impression...

t-$

Post by t-$ » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:49 am

Dude, you have been an amazing help! Hijack my thread?? no way, you have definitely improved my thread quality and raised the stoke-meter.

and I have no idea when Easter is, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be going before that. my work break is the first week in March, so I’d be landing there on the first or second and need to fly back out on the fifth or sixth. I’m assuming most places would have decent snow, but can I ask why the real ski season doesn’t seem to start until later? Is it the light issue?

anyway, thanks a lot again for your input. I’m leaning towards the oppdal shuffle option at this point, hoping for good weather

CwmRaider

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:15 am

Hi,
Daylight time in Oppdal is here:
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@3143512?month=3
The sun is up from 7:30 to 5:30 earliest March, this should be fine.
But it can be pretty cold. Here are weather statistics for Storhornet, a weather station on a mountain near Oppdal
https://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Tr%C3%B8 ... stics.html

Snow should not be an issue. All the cabins will be self service early March, you don't need to reserve, but you NEED a DNT membership and a cabin key. In the cabins you will find cooking equipment, firewood, and food supplies. but check with DNT

Also I suggest that you contact DNT about info before booking a trip. They are usually very helpful.
And plan enough time! At least 3 nights in the cabins, (the third day will be longer if you aim to go back to Oppdal in adition to skiing past Gjevilvasshytta) plus travel days etc.

Also, the tour is easier counterclockwise! Because the highest section north of Blåhøa into the valley with the reindeer tracks is a bit steep and narrow on the west side (in the picture with the reindeer tracks above)

If you do end up having dead time (and leftover energy) you can ski up Storhornet as well, it is a BC skiable mountain near Oppdal.
https://ut.no/turforslag/1110843/storhornet-1589-moh

Are you planning to do this trip alone? Take care, bring good maps AND a GPS and a powerbank for your phone; On any multi day trips I also take a snow shovel (to dig in), a lightweight foam matress (insulation from the snow) and an emergency shelter ("vindsekk", a kind of tent without poles to protect you from wind). These items are considered mandatory by many. I do not take any responsibility.

Take a look at the unofficial "mountain rules" for Norway
https://english.dnt.no/the-norwegian-mo ... 1571987226

Good luck :)

t-$

Post by t-$ » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:14 am

hey all,

i hope you had a great holiday season and are looking forward to a good new year! a quick update and some more ??????'s!

so the trip planning is coming along. I have chosen a route suggested here as a first intro into the norway "backcountry". i have my membership to the skiing association, now i need to call them to get my key for the huts, but i have some time for that. booking the flight this week.

so my first follow up question is, does anyone have any good map recommendations for europe?? i know the good ol' usgs provided accurate topo maps in the us, but i would like to get some accurate topo maps of my route and have paper copies with me. any suggestions on the best european map outlet??

second question, anyone want to go skiing first week in march??!! going alone will be fine, but it's always better with friends, eh?! especially calling the norse members here who have chimed in, but also anyone who maybe can get away that week. come join me!!

CwmRaider

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:11 am

Hi,
Regarding maps, here are the solutions I use:

1) Download the Norgeskart app on your mobile device, and pre-load the maps. The free version of the app has a limit for 2 weeks of keeping preloaded maps. The detail in the maps is huge, so only download the resolution and the area you need.
2) you can legally and for free, download the 50'000 topo maps here to your phone, although this is a more clunky approach. https://www.kartverket.no/Kart/Hele-Norge-rett-i-lomma/
(For Trollheimen you will need the Møre og Romsdal and Trøndelag provinces.)

3) if you are going to do the Trollheimen triangle, this map "Trollheimen Sør" has that section in 25'000 scale, in addition to another section in 50'000 scale.
https://forhandlere.nordecakonsument.co ... r-1-50-000

Unfortunately I cannot take free in March to go skiing there with you...

Cheers
Roelant