Bonna 2400

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jalp

Bonna 2400

Post by jalp » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:52 pm

I usually find a few cool pairs of older skis each season. Most aren't really that post-worthy but I think yesterday's is an exception.

I came home with a pair of Bonna 2400 210cm, Medium stiff. Edges are ½ Lignostone, 1/2 segmented metal. They are new. They are probably about 40 years old and have never ever been on snow. Camber? Oh yes, plenty. It was pretty hard to keep my poker face on as I negotiated a better deal with the seller. He seemed happy to give me a break when I told him that I would be skiing them rather than hanging them on the wall. In case anyone is wondering, there's absolutely zero chance that these will be sitting in my livingroom as décor. Also included was a pair of new 145 cm bamboo poles and a pair of super thin, floppy boots.

Vital stats:
210cm, 61/54/58
2750g for the pair as mounted.

My first impression is that these are an all wood E99 class ski. I'll see if that holds when we get some snow here. I'm definitely going to wait for a very good base before these come out.

They are currently mounted with old light weight Troll wire bail bindings. I may ski them once as is, but I'm thinking a pair of Chouinard 3 pin would be a major upgrade without losing the vintage appeal.

Added bonus: I got them into the house without my wife noticing.
DSCF0736.jpg
DSCF0743.jpg
DSCF0742.jpg
DSCF0745.jpg

Andy M

Re: Bonna 2400

Post by Andy M » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Wow, great find -- those are awesome!

I would keep the Troll bindings on them if at all possible.

Ullr
Ski style: Touring/Telemark
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme

Post by Ullr » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:31 am

Beautiful skis! Look like brand new. They are probably older than 40 years as the Bonna factory in Bærum, Norway burned down in 1971. I would also keep the bindings if your boots will fit them.

jalp

Post by jalp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Thanks Andy and Ullr for your opinion on the bindings.

I gave them a good second look and they actually appear to be quite a bit more robust than the wire bail bindings that left me walking some years ago. As I recall, it was a memorable walk at -30F. I found that my Alaska 75 boots will fit, properly snug at the first click. I also noticed that the hole pattern is different than with more modern 3P bindings. I'm not adverse to drilling for a remount but these are just so perfect and original that I'm reluctant. I think I'll wax them and ski them as they are for now. They will probably not see anything more than fairly gentle rolling terrain.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Hole pattern is probably what was the standard 3 hole, 3 pin pattern for decades, until the Rottefella Super Tele and Voile generation of heavier duty 3 pins.
If those Trolls have a flat bale (kinda thin, but flat), they were a good sturdy 3 pin in their day. Can't see in the picture, and I can't remember clearly, but one of the old model flat bales did pop out of it's fitting on the wall of the binding... could have been a Skilom that I'm thinking of though. Go ahead and ski 'em, easy enough to replace if you decide to later on.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:05 pm

Absolutely beautiful Jalp! :o :o :o

The Troll traps are ok... I still use them with the Alaskas on my woodies... I personally hate the Choinard pins. I find them hard to step in and out. Black, classic SuperTeles would look very nice if the Trolls don't fit your boots...

And oh... Please, if your wife ever finds out about your secret purchase, drop me a note... I would be more than happy to offer you a quick solution to get rid of them... :D

(Any chance your contact had another pair left?)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Hey Jalp, can you grab a metric tape and give me some sidecut dimensions on these beauties? The 2400's came in a few different varieties, I am curious. Thanks!

jalp

Post by jalp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:53 pm

phoenix wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:45 pm
Hole pattern is probably what was the standard 3 hole, 3 pin pattern for decades, until the Rottefella Super Tele and Voile generation of heavier duty 3 pins.
That sounds correct for the hole pattern. The Troll pattern is: Forward screw at 1” forward of pin line and aft screws at only about 0.9” behind the pins. My RST's are at 1.5” behind pins for the back screws. Front hole of course is the same 1” forward of pins. I can definitely appreciate the larger spread pattern as it distributes both shear and tension loads a bit better.
phoenix wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:45 pm
If those Trolls have a flat bale (kinda thin, but flat), they were a good sturdy 3 pin in their day. Can't see in the picture, and I can't remember clearly, but one of the old model flat bales did pop out of it's fitting on the wall of the binding... could have been a Skilom that I'm thinking of though. Go ahead and ski 'em, easy enough to replace if you decide to later on.
The bales are definitely full round wire, no flat whatsoever. They are a respectable 4mm thick. They'll probably start to leave deep marks in the tops my boot bills with time. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on that.
DSCF0740.jpg

jalp

Post by jalp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Johnny wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:05 pm
Absolutely beautiful Jalp! :o :o :o

The Troll traps are ok... I still use them with the Alaskas on my woodies... I personally hate the Choinard pins. I find them hard to step in and out. Black, classic SuperTeles would look very nice if the Trolls don't fit your boots...
Well, I do happen to have a new pair of RTSs in black sitting on my shelf at the moment and yes, I agree, they would look pretty sharp. I will give the Trolls a fair chance first. They do fit my Alaska boots with 15mm thick bills but I couldn't get anything thicker in there. Wire bails are going to have to earn my trust again after the previously mentioned incident.
Johnny wrote:
And oh... Please, if your wife ever finds out about your secret purchase, drop me a note... I would be more than happy to offer you a quick solution to get rid of them... :D
I'll tell you what. I'll make sure my wife gets your contact information in the event of my untimely demise. :lol:
Johnny wrote:
(Any chance your contact had another pair left?)
I wish! I'd have probably loaded my car up with as many as he had! I'd been keeping my eye open for a pair of longer woodies for a little while. Most of what I found locally were too short, too beat or the seller thought they were made of gold. Last winter I really started to develop a taste for longer skis. I'm only 5'6” and with these at 210 I should be able to get my fix.

jalp

Post by jalp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:35 pm
Hey Jalp, can you grab a metric tape and give me some sidecut dimensions on these beauties? The 2400's came in a few different varieties, I am curious. Thanks!
Glad to!

210cm 61/54/58 If you need any measurements beyond that or more detailed pictures just let me know.

They are marked Turski Med. I'm assuming that's a medium camber. I'm 180lbs and can press out the camber when I weight one ski. On 2 equally weighted, I've got good daylight underfoot. I'm thinking they are a good match for me.