New skis...where’s the snow!!!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:31 pm

Happy days :) just dropped my new Rossignol BC120 waxers off at Norseman to have some Switchbacks installed :) Soooo much bling in there...going back in a couple of hours to pick them up. Hopefully I can get out of there without further emptying the bank account ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: New skis...where’s the snow!!!

Post by Woodserson » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:47 pm

1. Buy some bling! You need MOOOAAAAR
2. Review your new skis Ross 120's WAX!! when you are some days behind you! Review!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Big news Capers,
But... we need info here. How long are these new Rossi’s? Plus it’s a waxable? What’s the flex like? The sidecut? You just can’t drop a brand new ski like that on us without some more info.
Congrats on the new skis! I hope you, and I are skiing some soft and deep soon. Cheers!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Very exciting- and VERY different choice from the Combat Nato, though it seems from the topgraphy you are skiing that it is probably a good decision!

Yes! Me want to know more about this new ski as well!

Are you going to use skins with it and- if, so- whatcha getting?

SB or SBx2?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:43 am

Here’s pictures of how they’re set up...

...the skis are 182’s and have 120/86/108 sidecut dimensions. They’ve got a wood core and are waxers. I’ve seen a couple of different weights mentioned so I’m thinking it’s close to five pounds for bare skis (they felt very light). I’ll have to find a scale and weigh them in their current incarnation. They’re made in Rossignols Spain facility.

...I went with the Switchback X2. I had them mounted at Norseman in Calgary...gotta appreciate an honest salesperson with product experience, he pointed out the different options available and didn’t try to up sell me (I did that myself [emoji16]). They threw in waxing as well.

...the skins were something I found on sale at GearHub in Fernie, they’re shaped Nordica HighTrails and the dimensions seem perfect for my BC120s. Reviews seemed encouraging and the guys at the shop said they were a decent skin. I fully intend to explore the use of grip wax (as described in lilcliffys waxing articles) as (hopefully) my main goto, the skins are intended as backup.

...for a little extra climbing ‘insurance’ I had the guys at Norseman throw on the Voile crampons. I’ll be happy to never use them but who knows (I have a tendency to get in over my head at times). I’ll likely throw a bit of wax or silicone on them to hopefully avoid snow/ice buildup.

... my current boot choices are leather Alicos or plastic Liberos.

...and we got a dusting of snow here. Not enough for new skis but it’s finally coming. Kinda thinking of taking a bit of a drive North to try these out.
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.