Teleboard Mystique

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
martin2007

Teleboard Mystique

Post by martin2007 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:18 pm

I just read the ad for two used tele-boards in the "Turnaround" section. Two years ago at Steamboat I met a guy outfitted with free heels on one of those. He explained the background and technique to me, and we did a couple of runs together. Needless to say, I was in awe of his prowess. Nonetheless, I immediately proceeded to completely forget the encounter. Until just now, that is, when I read the ad on here. That tele-board encounter was a one-and-only-sighting in the 5 years I've been tele-ing. Not quite as common as sightings of whooping cranes and Sasquatches, but almost as cool. Anyone here ever given it a shot?

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Re: Teleboard Mystique

Post by Verskis » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:44 am

Pardon my ignorance, but what is teleboard? Snowboard with telemark bindings?

edit:
Google already answered me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleboard

RacehorseStu
Ski style: Nordic BC, nordic racing
Favorite Skis: Rossi BC110

Post by RacehorseStu » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:31 am

Looks terrifying. I love it.

Do you ever switch your lead foot? Do the heels ever lift or are tele bindings used for lack of real estate?
Skis: Rossignol BC110
Bindings: Voile 3-pin cable
Boots: Heierling leathers (thrift store specials)

Jack

Post by Jack » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:30 pm

Heels are lifted, especially the rear, which stays elevated. The front only comes up when straight lining down a cat-track or other flat slope where you are not turning.

You don't switch feet. Like a skateboard, surfboard or snowboard, you are either a regular or goofy rider.

The Teleboard trenches like a good snowboarder and likes to run fast. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it. It's a fun tool to have in your quiver.

Jack

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:05 pm

Does this not make you a true gravity slave? Defeats the whole purpose of telemark skiing, in my mind...just makes you a genuflecting snowboarder.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen