When to Drop a Knee

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Re: When to Drop a Knee

Post by FourthCoast » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I do not see much, if any, soft snow skiing in my future. I am OK with 'wanna-be telemark artist' status. I will have as much fun as I can on the groomers, hard pack and ice.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:20 pm

I grew up nordic ski racing and olympic style ski jumping( I competed in combined). I started telemarking when I was about 13yo. I stopped alpine skiing about that same time. I was so used to not having my heal locked down, that telemarking was the obvious thing to do. I started skiing at ski resorts on my nordic racing equipment using tele technique. I quickly graduated to a pair of Asolo extremes with the cuff and padding hacked off some alpine boots to give the Asolo's extra height and support( I'm sure lots of people did this too). so basically its been 30 years since I have used alpine equipment. so unlike alpine skiers who have crossed over to to Tele and are therefore more comfortable with parallel turns, I am the opposite. I ski parallel when its flat or I am just traversing. I do this to save energy. but as soon as it gets steep, icy or there are bumps, I have one knee down. I started wearing knee pads early on because my stance on steps and bumps is super low. I have jumped off drops into couloirs at places like Blackcomb, and I cannot even begin to imagine how I would handle that doing parallel turns. to me, tele turns are my comfort zone, parallel is for relaxing

when I was younger and racing nordic, I never thought much about the energy needed for Tele. now I think about it alot. I train using a stair master, crouched down low on the foot pads...believe it or not, doing intervals crouched down on a stair climber is very much like doing quick tele turns. my style of skiing is alot of quick feet, quick jump turns, etc.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:49 pm

Lo-Fi wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:43 pm
MSU Alum wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:24 am
... the act of dropping a knee creates a longer base between your two feet and will give you better control of fore-aft balance.

Of course, the whole point of telemark skiing isn't to have a technical advantage over alpine gear/technique. It's an aesthetic all its own. I'm sure you know that, otherwise you wouldn't be taking up the sport.
Fore-aft balance. Aesthetic.

Telemark equipment and the telemark turn allow for complete skiing: Near perfect continuity between flats, uphills and downhills.
Excellent answer LF...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:55 am

I went out and skiied this afternoon in warm temps. thin breakable crust (created by high winds from last night) with deep wet heavy snow underneath. The poles sink all the way in. My 62mm asnes would sink into it. To make matters worse other people's tracks would create this semi hard/soft crud that is unavoidable in certain spots... any advice on how to turn in this stuff on a moderate slope (equivalent to a blue square at a resort) ?
I have alfa leather nnn bc boots and asnes ft62 with 45mm x skins to provide some grip and slow things down.

Thanks
Last edited by jyw5 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:16 am

Not much to do: call it a day off, drink some beer, next to a warm fire...

Or else, jump turn... You can't unweight effectively in crud; you need some air to turn. You also need to crunch the surface to ski effectively. «Pretend you are an ice breaker, not a speed boat» Dr Telemark. Hard stuff though.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:32 am

JYW, yes and besides, turning in hard crust will rip those nice Alfa boots of yours apart in no time flat!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:36 am

thanks! glad to know that these conditions are tough...perhaps that explains the few people that were up there yesterday (with heavy AT setups and wide fat boards)... I may have fallen more times yesterday than I did all of last season.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:12 pm

I does add credence to Lowangle Al’s go to kit of Vectors and T-4’s.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:42 am

Lo-Fi wrote:
Telemark equipment and the telemark turn allow for complete skiing: Near perfect continuity between flats, uphills and downhills.
All the responses have been awesome but this is the one that really spoke to me personally. Getting the tools and developing the technique to climb and descend with little or no gear changes is now my goal. I think the skis and bindings and boots I have now are good enough for this. I will be looking for short, or narrow, climbing skins. I hope this will allow me to start working on continuity between flats, uphills and downhills.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:31 pm

FourthCoast wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:42 am
Lo-Fi wrote:
All the responses have been awesome but this is the one that really spoke to me personally. Getting the tools and developing the technique to climb and descend with little or no gear changes is now my goal. I think the skis and bindings and boots I have now are good enough for this. I will be looking for short, or narrow, climbing skins. I hope this will allow me to start working on continuity between flats, uphills and downhills.
I'm not so sure skins will get you the continuity you are looking for. I think the consensus is, that even with modern kicker skins you need to remove them for a satisfying downhill run. Someone with experience with them hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.