This would be a truly cool vacation...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

This would be a truly cool vacation...

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:50 pm

...and I don’t mean the temperature although that too would be a factor.

I just read this on the Asnes site.

https://www.en.asnes.com/asnes-expedition-amundsen/

The Amundsen Training Camp on pages 6-7 of the race form was more of interest to me than the actual race, they cover a lot of stuff in a couple of days...

THE TRAINING CONSISTS OF:
- How to appropriately pack the sled
- How to organize the camp, pitch the tent and secure the equipment
- Camp and tent routines
- Food and nutrition
- First aid in the winter / buddy rescue
- How to use the stove for winter use
- Navigate with GPS and map/compass
- Avalanche transceiver
- How to lead a team through the winter mountain (walking routines, breaks, food/drinks,
buddy check...)

Last edited by Inspiredcapers on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Re: This would be a truly cool vacation...

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:01 pm

https://skimarathon.ca/

I know this is not as « badass » as the Asnes Expédition, but as anyone ever skied at this event? The Canadian Ski Mararhon is 2 day event that takes part literally in my backyard but somehow I never participated in it.

This is open to anyone and there is many categories. If you choose to complete the full 160 km in 2 days, one could add that to his resume when applying to participate in the Asnes Expedition.

I will finally participate this year and I am curious to know if there is anyone else on the forum that will as well.

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:25 am

A really good writeup of the Amundsen race here: https://altabackcountry.com/2019/10/21/ ... ngervidda/ - these guys have done it twice and done well both times. The rest of their blog is great too, they certainly have the Åsnes fever! Definitely seems a tough event, I like to ski without the time pressure of a race situation myself, but I agree it sounds like the race prep/tutorials would be a great learning opportunity.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:45 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:https://skimarathon.ca/

I know this is not as « badass » as the Asnes Expédition, but as anyone ever skied at this event? The Canadian Ski Mararhon is 2 day event that takes part literally in my backyard but somehow I never participated in it.

This is open to anyone and there is many categories. If you choose to complete the full 160 km in 2 days, one could add that to his resume when applying to participate in the Asnes Expedition.

I will finally participate this year and I am curious to know if there is anyone else on the forum that will as well.
160 km on skis seems pretty badass to me.

Keep us updated regarding training as well as the event.
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

boby13
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: Green FT's, Ingstad, Objective BC, Fischer E88, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP and I have a love/hate relation with the Alfa Free!

Post by boby13 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:30 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:01 pm
https://skimarathon.ca/

Hey Martin,

Check this out, I Believe this is the 1974 edition of that race in this awesome Jackrabitt film!

https://www.nfb.ca/film/jack_rabbit/

And I say it again, Asnes should make a ski with that old Jackrabitt face on it! He did so much for the sport all over North America, he is our greatest Norwegian!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:46 pm

@boby13 i’ve seen that film a number of times and didn’t put the race in the film as the marathon Martin spoke of.
@Nitram Tocrut Martin, looking forward to hearing about your marathon next year. Jackrabbit says you’re faster without a beard! I sure hope you have enough room for a camera in your pack.
Very exciting my friend!